What size grow out tank for BN?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
My dwarf BN laid eggs about 5 days ago now, and so I am expecting to see them hatching sometime soon. Assuming any make it past the 10 neons that the BN's share the tank with, I am going to need to consider somewhere to grow them out large enough to sell/trade.

What is the minimum tank size that I could grow them out in? the clutch of eggs looks fairly small, probably no more than 30-40 eggs. From what I have read I want to get them to around 1" in size before trying to ship them anywhere.

At the moment they are in a 29G, as previously stated there are 10 neons in the tank, along with 1m/2f plecos. I have read a bunch of threads on breeding them, but can't find much about grow out tank size.

Thanks.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I am currently using 2 x 29g tanks for my long fined BN but am going to have to get the 55g set up as they just keep breeding. So if you don't want them to keep breeding you will have to separate them. Once they start they just don't seem to stop.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks, how many fry do you typically get? mine started hatching yesterday but a lot of them seem to have disappeared. I probably only saw about 15 eggs left when I got home, I could see a lot had hatched, and the male was protecting the others, but I could only see 3 fry.

At this point I am not sure if the neons had some fresh food, or if the fry are hiding under the driftwood.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
You can also stop them from breeding slightly after the fact, by removing the egg clusters.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Currently I have literally hundreds of fry. And that is from only 1 breeding trio. But I am breeding ABN Longfins. I don't know how many fry is normal for Dwarf BN's.

Depends on the parents. How many eggs are deposited whether the dad is a experienced one. The male I have seems to raise 1 batch every 3 to 4 weeks and this has been happening since last December, there are always more than one spawn in the cave at a time.

I don't think the Neons got to them they are probably hiding in the driftwood. They don't like to be out in the open until they get a little larger. If they have left the cave you might like to put some blanched zucchini in the tank near the driftwood for them. But remember to take it out after a couple of days. And you will probably have to increase your water changes to accomodate the extra bio load.

Don't worry their will be more coming. Enjoy.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Well, I am hoping they are just hiding under the driftwood, yesterday the male was still watching over what looked to be the last 2 or 3 eggs, but no signs of any fry at all. The eggs were on the top front of the driftwood, not hidden at all from view, maybe the fry have simply managed to move down and underneath the driftwood at the moment, but who knows.

To be honest it may not be that bad if the neon's did get them, as I don't currently have anywhere to grow them out. I would like to see at least a couple survivors though, will try the zucchini later and see if I can get any to come out and eat. The first to hatch will be around 2-3 days old now.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Well, I now know I have at least 1 survivor! This tank is in the kitchen, last night I went in there to get something, turned on the lights and saw something on the glass, at first I thought it was an oto (which in itself would have been extremely weird, since the otos are in the 55G in another room, and unless they have invented some kind of teleportation device are unlikely to have made it to the 29G).

So, I look a little closer, and sure enough, there is a little baby BN fry wriggling all over the glass. It was probably about half an inch, looked just like a little pleco from the side as well. I have no idea if there are others, but I am happy to just have seen the one.

I also noticed the female getting fat again, I really need to find a cheap tank/filter.

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
How long does it typically take for the eggs to hatch. I currently have a long fin albino bristlenose pair and the male has been guarding the eggs for I think three days now. I snuck a peak and looked like a nice clutch of eggs, perhaps yellow/oarnge in tint (not sure it was a really quick peak). I too have a collection of tetras in the tank, a pair of betta's and a multitude of cherry shrimp (these things breed like rabbits on steroids). Any chances the fry wil have a chance?

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
How long does it typically take for the eggs to hatch. I currently have a long fin albino bristlenose pair and the male has been guarding the eggs for I think three days now. I snuck a peak and looked like a nice clutch of eggs, perhaps yellow/oarnge in tint (not sure it was a really quick peak). I too have a collection of tetras in the tank, a pair of betta's and a multitude of cherry shrimp (these things breed like rabbits on steroids). Any chances the fry wil have a chance?
I think mine took around 5-6 days to hatch, chances of fry survival? depends really, I think neons took out most of mine, and the 1 just got lucky. You might get fry, you might not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store