"rescue" betta fin-rot -- is it too late?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluetik

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Sunny Florida
We have been tasked with taking care of my son's classroom fish over the summer.

When I went to pick them up yesterday, there was a new fish in the tank I hadn't seen before... an extremely emaciated, sad-looking Betta.

He was with 4 Harleys and a sailfin pleco in an unheated 20 long. The teacher had assured me that these fish had been healthy all year, and I'd planned to integrate them into my planted 46 bowfront.

I quickly decided this guy needed his own home, though, and pulled a 5 gallon out of the garage. I have a Whisper internal filter and 25W heater (set to 77). I used water from the 46 gallon to fill this tank and drip acclimated the Betta.

I haven't had a Betta for about 10 years. Is it too late to save him? What should I do? I have 1 tsp of aquarium salt in the water, planning to do a small water change later and replace the salt removed and add an additional teaspoon. I also have a pellet food containing sulfadimethoxine and ormetorprim sulfa. Would it be worthwhile to soak these pellets in the garlic and see if he'll take them? I don't have any water-borne antibiotic medications at this time.

He is extremely lethargic and may be blind in one or both eyes. I tempted him to eat one bloodworm soaked in garlic water last night, and he took one more this morning. But I have to target feed him with a medicine dropper -- he needs to be coaxed to eat.

Sorry about the ill-placed water spot in the picture. His side fins are very frayed, as well, making it difficult for him to swim.

Thanks!

P6090813.JPG

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I'd suggest keeping him in more shallow water so that he can get up for air without trouble.
I'm not good with illness and disease, so I can't be much help there, but I know there are plenty others on here who would be glad to help you out so hopefully they will chime in.
It's a good sign at least, that he took some food. There is a glimmer of hope.

Hope your lil guy pulls through

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Juice is right about lowering the water level. That will help a lot. I don't know about using salt. People disagree over whether it's really useful for conditions other than ich and dropsy. For now I'd say just keep his water pristine and feed him anything he'll eat. If he can eat and swim upright, even if he's not able to manuever very well, he could pull through. Fins grow back. He's is a beautiful color, by the way. Will be nice to see how he heals up.

If you want to try water treatments (not medications) that may speed healing, Betta Revive is probably safer than Betafix/Melafix, which may damage the labyrinth organ. Betta Revive is only available in a ridiculous tiny bottle, however, as it's sized for the ridiculously tiny bowls sold as Betta homes. Look for it near the two-inch-tall "Betta plants." *sigh* Indian Almond/Ketapang leaves may also help. I just bought some from Amy on eBay and highly recommend her for great prices and product.

Good luck — and thanks for the rescue attempt. Although he may not know it yet, that Betta's luck has really changed!

bluetik

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Sunny Florida
Possible Change In Diagnosis?

Thanks Em and Deborah, for your advice and words of support. I really hope he pulls through.

However, after observing my community tank tonight, I have changed his diagnosis from "fin rot" to "being eaten alive". In the classroom, he was living with 4 schooling fish and a pleco. I misidentified the schooling fish as Harleys -- they are actually Serpae Tetras. DOH!!!

At any rate, those 4 are in my community tank as of yesterday and tonight I noticed some tail chunks missing from a few of my cherry barbs. Well, I observed a while after lights out tonight and saw one of the tetras take two swipes at my Gold Gourami's tail!!! :mad2:

So, I'm thinking this is what happened to the Betta, and now I'm worried about my community fish. I may have to dig up yet another tank (or ask the teacher for hers) for these tetras.

The Betta is doing okay -- he seems a bit livelier today and took two bloodworms tonight.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I would try to rescue these fish permanently or make some suggestions for more passive, compatible tankmates--LOL. In terms of Mr. Betta-- I would just keep him in pristine water conditions and see what you get in terms of regrowth. I agree with the suggestion of keeping the water level low for now until he gets a little more strength. These little fish are amazing. As he gets used to his new "house" he may be more interested in eating.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Salt seemed to make betta fin rot worse in my experience. What did help for me was water changes of 30% every day and a 1/4 dose of methlyene blue. Real stable conditions with clean water and good food will help but it may take several months for those fins to repair.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
no salt, large volume daily water changes (100% if you can), and use the Betta Revive. back in my betta days i swore by the stuff, and it worked every single time for fin problems (rot, etc). yeah, it does come in a teensy lil bottle, but if you have the betta in a 5 gallon you shouldn't go too broke with treatment. i'd pick up more than one bottle though, just to make sure you don't run out during the course of treatment.

the damage to the fins definitely looks like it came from nipping, not from rot. but you do have to be vigilant that rot doesn't set in on the damaged edges of the fins.

bluetik

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Sunny Florida
1 week progress update

Thanks again, everyone, for your advice! @Somervell - No, I am definitely *not* going to give this Betta back to the teacher!! I have worked too hard to send him back to be eaten up again! Maybe she was trying for some Darwinian experiential learning, or something!! LOL

I'm posting a few pictures. The first is a little blurry, but it's the best shot I could get of the fin regeneration. He is getting stronger and putting on a little weight, as well, I think.

Thanks again!!!

P6160861.JPG P6160878.JPG

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
awww and he built you a happy nest =] Good job! I'm sure he'll be forever grateful

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
It's amazing he's still alive after being with those nasty serpaes! We're rooting for the little guy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store