Chinese Algae Eater Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
So over the years I've always avoided Chinese Algae eaters and whenever someone would give me one I'd always find it a new home. Well just recently someone gave me three Tiger barbs and a CAE and I decided to start a barb tank. So I know CAE's can be pests at times but there must be some type of aquarium where they are fine in and I'm wondering if they will be okay in my new barb tank? The tank is going to be a barb only tank and I thought CAE might be good clean up crew for the barb tank considering their own aggressive behavior. Let me know what cha think. Thanks

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
30gal

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Then what type of fish can they be in with, I have 13ish tanks and the only other fish I can think about having them in with is my blood parrot tank but i had different plans for them as far as a clean up grew goes. Oh well I'll figure it out as I go along I guess.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Ive kept them with Goldfish and Koi before. Also with a Cichlid, they were both equally aggressive and both scared the crap out of the other. They were best friends :D

They also do well in larger tank with other larger fish, like a 50+ gal tank with goldfish, Cichlids, or Oscars (both are aggressive and large) I have not actually put them with these fish, just heard of people who did, and were successful.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
My mother's friend has CAE's in with her barb and angel tank and she also has CAE's in with her goldfish. I do have a tank of goldfish but soon they'll be moving out to a pond due to me not having room for them and I don't believe a CAE will fare in the pond.

sluggerfish

Registered Member
Jun 16, 2010
i have 2 cae and never had a problem with them i also have 2 blood parrots 5 tiger barbs 1 fancy guppy and a 5 inch oscar and my cae doesnt mess with none even do the oscar is going to eventually eat my tiger barbs and my guppy but will he eat my cae?

bichir_boy

AC Members
Aug 8, 2009
seattle washington
well it really depends i got my 3" CAE in a 20 gall right now with some gold fish danios and skunk loaches and he does fine and his in a unheated tank which stays around 74 in the summer and alot colder in the winter.... they do clean up ur tank till they hit like 6"-8" then they start to eat biofilm and worms and live shrimp from what ive seen with my old 9" one which was the most aggressive in with some cichlids and it would always do a lap around his territory when i turned the lights on... so i say once they hit 6"-8" thhey sould go in something like a Well decorated 125 Gallon Tank if u want to let the tank mates to have a chance if they are big and slow...... but if u go with barbs i say a 55 should be good enough for life lot of round rock java fern and some driftwood with a med current would look cool for a tank and would kinda mimic where they would normal inhabit....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store