UV Sterilizer help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
Okay well I have a reef tank and I am thinking of purchasing a small UV Sterilizer to help with a brown algae problem. I just checked my phosphate levels and it is at 0. Actually, all my reading come at 0 including nitrates. My PH is 8.0, and I use RO water. I have a 55 gallon reef tank with a 29 gallon sump. I have a few videos on youtube of my setup if you would like to see it. http://www.youtube.com/user/Siwulam. The tank looks absolutely stunning right now, but I am noticing brown algae starting to cover things. I need to take care of this now before It gets ridiculous and my beautiful tank goes to crap. My question is the following: Can I put the uv sterilizer in the sump and will it work just as good as if it was in the tank? Also, for those who have had the same problems, will the brown algae completely disappear from objects? Thanks for any input. My light on my CF is on for 11 hours on a timer with no breaks, it is 260 watts. I am thinking of adding a first break for an hour at around noon. Let me know what you guys think.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
It doesn't matter where your UV sterilizer is as long as water flows through it. Some of the newer filters even have built-in UV dosing. When I first hooked up my UV sterilizer, not only did the waterborn algea dissapear (overnight, in fact) but also the existing algea albeit at a slower pace. My tank is currentluy just about algea free. It is important not to use it if the tank is cycling however. I went through a mini cycle recently and turned off the UV filter for about 3 weeks and noticed it was starting to get cloudy again so I turned it back on. Cleared it right up!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
umm... freshwater reef? or could you just not get much help over on the dark side? i'm confuzzled.

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
Ya not a lot of people look at the reef side of this forum. So I figured, algae is present in both sides. So that is why I posted here.

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Ever thought of a clean up crew? I used to have a reef 55gal. Turbo snails kept things clean for me. Hermits too.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
A UV will only help with free floating algae. If sounds like you have diatoms,maybe. A UV will not help with the type of algae you are describing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store