Cheap light fixture for a planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
Just planning ahead for the future :D
I want a low light planted tank, weekly flourish for fert but no co2, regular sand for substrate, no root tabs, no dry ferts.

Will definitely keep some commonly suggested low light plants like java ferns, but I want a densely planted tank with other stuff...maybe some hygros, dwarf sag, w.e I can find :D

Sooo...if I have a 75g(48" long), do you think I could buy 4 shop lights and fit it all on there? :D Or if someone has a suggestion for a cheap light fixture so I can have a lid at the top of the tank :p

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
Shop lights would work great! Just make sure the bulbs are made for plant growth with the right Kelvin rating. If it where my tank, I would hang the shop lights from the ceiling because I really like the look it gives the tank, When you do maintance, just raise the light fixture. That is what I did with my 20gH riparium with a cheap hydroponics T5HO light fixture. It cost me around $35!

Regards,
Jake

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
I want a low light planted tank, weekly flourish for fert but no co2, regular sand for substrate, no root tabs, no dry ferts.

Will definitely keep some commonly suggested low light plants like java ferns, but I want a densely planted tank with other stuff...maybe some hygros, dwarf sag, w.e I can find :D

Sooo...if I have a 75g(48" long), do you think I could buy 4 shop lights and fit it all on there?
i believe the bolded quotes to be highly contradictory in terms of a planted tank and success in most cases. although i could be misinterpreting and you may mean 4 bulbs which may be doable but i still stand firm on the rest of my statement.

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
is this absolutely necessary? by densely planted, i mean quantity, but the plants could be hardy plants that don't have high demands.
this thread convinced me not to try co2: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247023
since i plan on getting plants with low requirements. if i get a 4 light bulb fixture i will have 4x32 watts, 1.7wpg
plus i have hob filters so im afraid all the co2 will just diffuse out of the water
do you think i can get away with having regular sand substrate if i try to make some sort of slow release dry fert?

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
You only need two 4ft shop lights. Either way, 4 shop lights won't fit! They have 2 bulbs each making wattage a total of 160, 40watts per bulb. You could just do one shop light and still have tons of plant growth though. I did, only needed the 80watts, had a forest in no time, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store