PHOTOS: Otos and Snails, Snails and Otos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice looking!

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Nice pics H2Ogal. Is that tiger lotus in the last pic?

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
Is that a ramshorn? I've never seen that color variations. How lovely!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Great looking shots! I love ramshorns, they come in so many colors!

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Thanks, guys!

fish-n-chips, the bulbs were sold as Nymphaea stellata, Dwarf Lily (but it might be Nuphar stellata, which is apparently the North American species?). From what I've read, Tiger Lotus, N. zenkeri, looks the same but is bigger.

FastFly, yes, that's a blue ramshorn, and ain't she/he a beauty? Cruises around like an ocean liner, with the most beautiful antennae or feelers or whatever those wavy things are. (Can you tell I'm new to snails?) I've read conflicting info about the blue coloration. Some say it's breeding, others say diet. One source said that brown/black shells actually are those colors — but blue shells are translucent, and what you're seeing is the color of the ramshorn's blood!

Anyway, I can only assume that lovely gal/guy came in on a plant. It had reached 1/4" before I ever even noticed it, and now the shell's about 3/4". Good grief, snails grow fast!

I pay a lot more attention to itty-bitty things in the tank now. :)

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Very nice. The plants and Otos look very healthy.
I was thrilled to find out that the otos were tank-raised by a breeder only an hour away from the LFS, so no worries about damage to the fish/environment during capture in the wild, or starvation during shipping. They were incredibly quick to settle into the tank, and made it through two days of ammonia spikes, water changes and pH changes before I managed to resolved the underlying problem, whew!

They are the cutest fish, and I'm glad I got five ... although I second-guessed myself there for a while. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store