clownfish urgent question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i know im probably wiggin out, but to clownfish normally sleep on the bottom? i bought two clowns yesterday evening, and when i turned the light on, one of the clowns was on the bottom, and he was bretheing heavy, but a couple minutes later he was swimming around. is this normal? do clowns sleep like that? all my parameters are good. nitrates is the only thing thats a little high and its at 30. its a 75 gallon tank, with two damsels, 2 pecrula clowns, and a banded shrimp.

thanx

JasonA

Jack of all trades, master of none!
May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
I guess it depends on the species, but my 2 false perculas will lay both on the bottom and lay on their side in their little "lovers area".... and other places in the tank....

been doing for a long long time and no problems so I'd say OK...

I have 2 clowns, 1 Puff, 2 Puesdo, 1 Damsel, 1 Boxfish and I've seen them all do weird things while sleeping...

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
he seems to be OK, but hes doesnt swim as ellagant as the other one. and yes he was actually laying on the bottom :shake: if seen freshwater fish do it, so im trying to chill out a little bit. i hope they are gonna be ok :( they just scared me. the other one was actually up really close to the surface, i thought he was belly up, but after the lights were on for a few, he started to zoom all around the tank. maybe they were just stressed from the move? the lfs just got them yesterday morning

thanx

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Sorry about your loss ! I'm no expert but, I always wait at least a week befor I buy a recent arival from the lfs. I try to wander in at least once and see if they are acting normal and so are their friends. If any fish in the tank are I don't buy.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
normally i do, but i know the owner, and he is gonna give me a new one when they come in. where i live, lfs only get about 4 clowns in every few weeks, and they are sold within the first few days. :( still not sure what could have happened. i adapted him right to the new conditions. he was fine at first. i hope it wasnt anything i did. :(

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I guess that it was probably shipping stress . You wouldn't know if it was wild caught or tank raised would you? I've read that the mortality rate for wild caught clowns is huge.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
are clownfish very active swimmers? my pecrula swims with what looks like alot of effort and goes no where :) is this normal? hes small, not even an inch long yet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store