dojo and goldfish issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i have a 48x20x28 tank with 7 fancy goldfish and 5 dojo loaches, i have just noticed in the past week or so that when i feed the fish, the loaches are actually forcing their way into the goldfishes gills-presumably to get the food they are eating. ive seen 2 of them actually get their heads into the goldfishes gills with the goldfish swimming around in circles trying to eat and get rid of the loach. is this normal? the loaches are growing fast and doing really well, i feed the fish in this tank saki hikari sinking pellets, cooked shelled peas, frozen brine shrimp/bloodworm/tubifex, sinking algae tablets, prawn, small earthworms, orange slices, spinach, cucumber and sinking catfish pellets, i use the saki hikari as a staple and add a different treat each evening. im just worried the dojos may damage the goldfish by doing this.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I have no idea about this issue, Kelly, but I know that Lupin would, because he keeps both. Maybe if you PM'd him, he could advise you. :)

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Oh wow, I've never had that issues with my Dojos. They surely can damage the gills and hurt the fish. I wonder why they are so aggressive about it..?
I'm not sure what to do about it other than remove the Loaches though.:confused:

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i too have kept dojos with goldfish for years, i will have to keep an eye on them and see if its just 1 of them who has figured its a good idea or more than 1. i know my 2 largest dont, they eat the pellets with the goldfish, i will check again when i feed in the morning. ive never known such odd behaviour. i will pm lupin, thanks for that.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
what is the size of the dojo's ? and what is the size of the goldies,? any pics?

i have 4 weather loaches,.. with my 3 shubinkins and loaches were smaler when intruduced,.. and ll fare well no issues at all,..
are you sure the loaches can get enough food with the goldies in there? perhaps feed the loaches at night is pitch black dark so that they may get the food before the goldies,.. my shubs are about 8 inches now and the loaches are fat and happy,.. but i do notice,. that the goldies force away the loaches to steal their food and there is only 3,.. they are in a 90gal,..

it sounds to me like thisis aaway for them to get their food anyway,..
i suggest feed them at night for with that many goldie in one place i don't think that there may be anything left for the loaches,.. as they are slower and take longer to eat,..

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
the goldfish are all fancies, and the loaches are always first to the food. all get a fair share (i tend to overfeed too-hence the weekly water changes of 60% or more with a thorough gravel vac :) ) they are fed twice a day, in the morning then as lights go out.

the goldfish range from about 4" up to around 8", the dojos are probably between 4-5" but growing quickly. ive never had this issue before with any other dojos with goldies. not sure about pics, il see what ive got :)

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
quick update, i fed and watched them intently, and it was just 1 single dojo who was doing it. he was disappearing past his front fins into the goldfish through the gills, it did it to 1 of my moors, and 2 of my orandas, so i fished him out. he is now in my 20g unheated guppy tank with the 5 male guppies who live in there. im not sure what to do about him now. what a little sod-there were tons of pellets on the tank bottom and he was bypassing them all and straight into the nearest goldfish :jaw:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Ugh! I've never observed this behavior before. I'd just separate them just in case. Not worth the risk allowing their gills to be damaged.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
wow good to know you got the perpetrator,... keep and eye out on the others also so they don't start,..

i have to remove a couple of orange orandas, ping pong size from my tank as they were torturing my large blue oranda eating her poop from the source,.. and making her very uncomfortable and i worried at the intensity of this damaging her,.. so they went back to lfs,.. and i have a baby blue and calico in with her,.. and so Peace is had now,..

some of these guys just get dumb thing to do and think its fun,..

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
:goldfish: yes i have happy fish again, the other 4 dojos behave perfetcly like all others ive had, the single trouble maker is still on his own with my 5 male guppies at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store