Is there something wrong with my goldie?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SweetieAngel

AC Members
Jun 12, 2010
I recently got 2 fantail goldfish. One of them had been picked on at the pet store and it looked like his fins had been chewed on by the other fish. I got them home and they seemed to adjust fine. His fins seem to be regenerating a little and it didn't seem like there was anything else wrong but this morning I noticed the ends of his fins seem to be turning black as well as a little dark coloration around his lower stomach area. He doesn't seem to be acting abnormally. He swims around fine and though he is nervous he doesnt seem to try to hide behind anything or go to the surface unless he is eating. His appetite seem normal and also the other goldfish seems to be acting fine. He likes to hide a bit but other than that he is perfectly normal.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Black edges to fins or black patches on fish can be evidence of a healing ammonia burn. Just keep a close eye on your parameters and make sure that finrot doesn't set in. Your fish either may have been the victim of fin nippers at the store, or he was the victim of bad water quality. Clean water will probably clean it up if there is nothing else wrong, which there doesn't seem to be.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
More than welcome! I'm no expert, but I have seen what you are describing many, many times. Keep that water clean and he/she will probably be back to normal coloration in no time!

SweetieAngel

AC Members
Jun 12, 2010
I will. I change the water religiously so I think he must have been exposed to it at the pet store though it seemed fairly well taken care of but you can never really tell.

SweetieAngel

AC Members
Jun 12, 2010
He seems to be alright. There isn't any more black than there was the other day and he is still swimming actively. He seems to be a bit obsessed with the new bubble wall though his other buddy seems to be wary of it.

SweetieAngel

AC Members
Jun 12, 2010
My other calico fantail has something wrong with him now. My grandmother called me last night to tell me he seemed to be dead in one of the plants but when I came home he was still breathing so I set up an impromptu quarantine tank and moved him into that...he was floating on his side but seemed to right himself occasionally...He was still breathing when I woke up this morning so I figured I should post it on here and see if anyone had any thoughts on the poor little guy. I don't see any apparent bloating and he hasn't been overfed since I've gotten him at least which is over a week ago and he seemed healthy up until yesterday. Even his smaller, bullied friend is seeming healthy. Help?

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
what size tank are they in,.. goldies have to have lots of water to keep them healthy,.. at least 20gall per fish,.. 30 being better,..
and water changes, weeksly if not more if they are in a small tank,..
ammonia is a fast killer
you need to have he water tested with liquid test kits,.. not the strips,..

any other symptoms? or pics or any other info to help?

does he have a hard time righting himself? or is he just weak? what are you feeding him? and how much and how often,.. goldies should be fed sinking pellets only as flakes or floating food makes them ingest air and perhaps lead to swimbladder problems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store