Turbo Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snowman100

AC Members
Oct 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Okay guys..

I have a question... My tank (30G Hex with live rock, at 78deg and 1.024 salinity) has been up and running for close to 6 months now.. It seems to have stabilized with 2 Cardinals, one Clown and one Chromis. I also have a Serpent Sea Star... and some hermit crabs..

My Turbo snails died and I added 3 more... they lasted 2 daays and I found them dead... I did a major water change and tested my water, which has been fine.. I purchased 3 more turbo snails and again they lasted all of 2 days.. these guys were covered in white goo and stunk up to high heaven. They are out of my tank... but can anyone tell me what's up..? I checked my levels and they are fine...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Chances are, your snails were in rather rough condition prior to you purchasing them. This is especially common, considering how badly they are handled from collection to the retail store--all well before they ever make it into your tank. Minute changes in salinity, especially, cause irreversible, often mortal damage. Beyond that, Turbo snails are not suited for tropical temperatures and will live greatly shortened lives when kept in higher temps. Look for better alternatives, like Trochus, Stomatella, Collonista, Columbella, cerithids, rissoids, Haliotis, various limpets, etc.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
I have 6 turbos and never had a problem. have had them for about 4 months.
I acclimated them just like normal. float, put them in a hanging dish with thier bag water and add 2 turkey basters full of Dt water every 10-15 mins.
I guess if its a rough handling thing that you should watch at your LFS for one or two that you can tell the difference between adn see if they look ok at the store for a week or so and then once you know they are good, go ahead and buy them and put them in your tank.
If they still die something is seriously wrong with your sand or soemthing in your tank.
nitrates high maybe?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store