yellow tail damsel in groups?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Very few tanks will support a community of damsels. They are very territorial, and even the milder yellow tails may fight in a tank less than 55, especially if there are other grazers in the tank. I would't risk it.

Domino

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
from my readings, in the Damselfishes family, the Chromis (greenish color) species is the exception to the territorial nature. They actually form schools. I've seen them in LFS and its true! 5-7 of them form attractive schools and they are not too big...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Many fish that school naturally will not school within the confines of a tank. Yellow tangs are well known for schooling in the ocean, but fighting to the death in a tank, even a large one. Always use caution--in a large enough tank, adult chromis will school. In a smaller setup, the same number won't work. I've seen it work in tanks above 200 gallons, but never with adult fish in a tank under 100 gallons. The behavior of juveniles does not always carry through as adults.

racerX

AC Members
Jan 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
So the six bluegreen chromis that i have in my 55gal are pretty small now like maybe an inch long, could possibly grow up and go at it? I've noticed that the only one that is a little larger then the others is like king in the group he leads everywhere and the rest just kinda tag along, it makes a nice school though. :confused:

Orion

AC Members
Feb 1, 2004
Visit site
I always keep there of these guys in all of my aquarium (the smallest is 100 g). They are docile and will breed in aquarium. Infact, they are the fist of my marine fish that spawned under my care.

as40

Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Orion, that is a beautiful fish! Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of fish is that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store