Need some guidance with Neo. Brichardi/Pulcher Plz

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
Hey guys, I was looking for some info on Neo. Brichardi/Pulcher. I will post pictures tomorrow hopefully. k so the tank size is 55 gal. and water is perfect for the fish. I have 4 brichardi about 1.5 in" and another 4 Pulcher the same size. I just added 4 new Pulcher but these are about 3 in". There are no problems with any of the fish and they are all happily sharing one small side of the tank. I have 1 female Kribenses full grown and its kinda bossing around the other fish when they cross paths. Now my question was about how i can tell between male and female. I know the whole thing with body size and shape, with the long fins and stuff, but i have heard people say something about facial markings being different between males and females. If any1 knows more about this please do get back to me, i would really appreciate it.

P.S i wanted to know if there were any "tricks" to induce breeding. i.e feeding, lighting times, water changes.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Hello welcome to AC.. I keep a pair of Daffodil Brichardi aka Pulcher in a 120gal with other Larger boisterous Tanganyika's and i have an issue every now and then..

As for your setup you have 12 Brichardi's in a 55gal with a lone Krib all will probably go ok til the bigger Brichardi's start to pair off and breed and in which case most likely kill off most of your stock especially the smaller Brichardi's i would make sure that a lot of rocks for hiding is in place and i would remove that Krib it might be punking the little ones now but soon they will formulate a plan and take out the Krib..

As for sexual differences for Brichardi sometimes you may be able to go by finage but never a certainty 100% sure way is to vent check them as they get bigger you will not be able to determine sex by facial markings with Brichardi's

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Is it a good idea to have N.brichardi and N. pulcher (daffodil) together in the same tank? They will easily crossbreed. IMHO, I don't think it is a good idea.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
But I wouldn't like to crossbreed those 2 variants; just my opinion.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Attack of the Brichardi Death Squads!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
^ Agreed!

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
thanks for the reply guys, i really appreciate it! well pulcher and brichardi are the same species just a diff. color variation. As far as hiding places are concerned i think its pretty adequate, but mayb u guys can help me with some decor ideas =) as soon as i get up from bed ill post a few pics lol...efors i understand ur concern, i do not sell or trade any of my fish nor do i give them out to any1 i know...not many ppl around here that i know of that even house these tangs, most just keep to central americans here. Pittbull i will remove all brichardi/pulcher once a pair is formed and make it a species tank, i was going to put brilliant rasboras in the tank as dither fish, but i think i should go with a better suited fish for the water chemistry? Thanks in advance ^^

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store