cherry shrimp colors

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I recently got a bunch of cherry shrimp and I was curious about their colors. I know that male fish are typically smaller and more colorful than females. I know that most fish don't reach their full color until maturity. Is this true of the shrimp as well? I notice that some are very bright red, while some are still essentially clear. Some of the bright red ones are berried though, so I didn't know of they followed the same colorization rules of thumb as fish do.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
its the opposite with RCS
the males are almost transparent, with a thin red stripe down their sides.

the females are more colorful, especially depending on their reproductive cycles.
Berried females will usually have the most vibrant red coloration.

Juvie shrimp are a little less colorful than their parents, but arent totally colorless.

Color also varies with diet and Environment. depending on their surroundings they will vary in color. shrimp in a light color tank will have different color than shrimp in a dark tank. It's important to vary their diet somewhat as well, I feed mine algae wafers, shrimp pellets, crab bites, and veggie sticks.

and as with anything else, stress contributes to their color also, a happy shrimp, or fish, will be more colorfull than one that is distressed.

Last edited:

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I wondered if it might be flipped. I got them as juveniles and have had them a month or so now. They are all getting larger and some are quite red, while the others, not so much. I figured it was a gender issue.

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
What color sand do you have? I would say dark sand is usually the best trigger to make redder RCS. As long as the health of the environment is normal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store