New Betta Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
As I have said in my previous thread, I want to start up a betta tank. To make them flare, I would like to have a tank big enough for two, with a divider in the middle (duh). What size tank should I look for?

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Any tank large enough to give each fish ample room ... a 10g or a 6.6g bookshelf tank would do.

I've read some pretty sad stories of bettas in divided tanks that managed to jump and wriggle past the divider. Seems like there's no foolproof way to prevent it. How about two tanks placed side-by-side? The fish will be safer but still well aware of each other, competing for your attention at feeding time and flaring when they think the other is getting attention or a treat.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Wouldn't having them within viewing range(I could be wrong and if so, please correct me) so that they'd be flaring at each other be kind of stressful. Like there's some other male that's constantly encroaching near their territory? I mean if I was a male betta constantly having to defend my territory it would be stressful and tiring but I could be wrong.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
From what I've read, your not wrong Rat. Betta's should not be kept to flare all the time. It stresses and shortens their lifespan.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Get one betta and a mirror if you want to see them flare.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Or like was said have 2 tanks next to each other and have something opaque between them an only allow them to see each other sometimes.

If the tanks are large enough that they can swim away and not always see each other (like two 5.5g tanks with decor that can block the sight when on opposite ends or two 10 gallons), that might be okay.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I thought about the mirror thing, but I think having two different bettas would be a little more interesting.

I was thinking about rigging a divider so that they could see each other only when I wanted them to. I still have to figure that out though.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
This is just my personal opinion but I think a 20 long would be ideal with a divider. You could use an aquarium safe paint like Krylon Fusion to paint some of the divider so that the Bettas are not in sight of each other constantly. Placing some plants on either side of the divider could help too. With a 20 gallon its easier to manage the water quality versus a smaller tank and each Betta could have some tankmates on their "side" of the tank like maybe some dwarf Cories or Otos.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Oh. believe me, I know about smaller tanks and water quality. For this tank, I don't necessarily want tankmates. I've got three other tanks, so I'm not looking for quantity. I just want two bettas. I was thinking I might take a ten gallon, and like you said, use krylon to paint a divider. However, I was thinking about having a clear divider siliconed to the sides, and something else to hold the dark one up. That way, I could let them see each other whenever I wanted. And, of course, I would drill holes in the dividers to allow for flow from side to side. An easy way to do this is have the filter intake on one side, and the water spilling into the other side. That way, the water has to flow between the two sides.

spartanalia

AC Members
Apr 12, 2010
I agree with the above posters. Flaring is a stress reaction in fish... why would you want your fish to be stressed out that much? Just use a small mirror when you want to see flaring... that way your fish aren't wasting their adrenaline when you're not around. Small mirrors are super cheap in the beauty section at walmart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store