goldfish sitting on the bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lucy1

Registered Member
Jun 16, 2010
In the last two days I have lost 2 goldfish and another 3 are sitting on the bottom of the tank. Two are still feeding.

My tank is 160litres and about 4 years old. The filter was replaced about 6-7 months ago and is an aquapro 130F. I clear one of the two sponges each month (on rotation) using tank water.

PH is 7.2 (liquid tester)
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
KH and GH is about 12

I have goldfish, Oranda's and black guppies (?)

The sick fish do not seem to have any fungus, discolouration or bulging eyes or anything else obvious wrong with them.

I have had a problem with the GH in the past and this weekend bought a water softner pillow which I just sat on the bottom of the tank for a couple of days. I have now removed it.

When the first fish started rolling on the bottom I added 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt. I do not know what the salt level was before I added it.

I do a water change on a weekly basis adding about 20litres of natural spring water (because the water is so hard where I live).

I am not sure what else I can tell you but my fish are dropping like flies.

Please help me!!

ryukin_5

AC Members
Mar 30, 2010
Antigua W.I
Hi so soory to hear.
i am no expert so maybe someone with a lot more experience will chime in soon.
however you could try some Maracyn Plus or maracyn two by mardel.
simply because it sounds like whatever it is has caused an internal infection.

Regards. hope you get through.

same thing happen to my first set of goldies and i lost almost all before i got the said medications. did the water change added the salt cleaned the filters (hob`s)nothing worked.
then got the meds. fixed it up still could not tell you what it was though.

Lucy1

Registered Member
Jun 16, 2010
I have an airstone, suppose I could try that. Medications will have to wait until tomorrow though, sadly another one has dropped to the bottom. Probably won't have any left by the weekend :(

_Carla_

Carla
Sep 27, 2009
Oklahoma
The folks at The GAB might be able to help you.
thegab.org
It's a goldfish site and they are very helpful. Good luck with your goldies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store