WTF? MUDSKIPPER'S FINS GOT BITTEN OFF!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Its tail fin got nipped off a lil and parts of it's second dorsal fin are missing. I just discovered that while it was chilling in a ditch in the tank and there was a cricket in the tank as well. I just fed off the cricket, but what happened? Did the cricket damage the Indian mudskipper or did the one with the blue fins damage it? How can I help him get well and recover?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would guess that the second skipper hurt the first one before I blamed a cricket. First step would be to separate them, then I would start with lots of water changes. Clean water will speed healing, and I don't think I'd start treating for anything unless I found symptoms of secondary infection.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Which would help clean up infection more, salty water or pure fresh water?

MrGrayMySkipper

AC Members
Apr 11, 2009
as my mudskipper was he turned all aggressive on mine. the african mudskipper did the same to your little indian mudskipper. african mudskippers are very aggressive and indians arnt. when mine got beaten up i put him in a different tank with clean water and he healed up real fast

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
I moved mine to a bucket of shallow brackish water with a floating platform. He just stays at the bottom and ignores the land part.

MrGrayMySkipper

AC Members
Apr 11, 2009
with mine it took a week or 5 days he got injured 3 times before i bought him a new tank.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
So the fins regrew?

I just checked my skip and it LOOKS like his fins kinda regrew back.

MrGrayMySkipper

AC Members
Apr 11, 2009
if the fin isnt red or bloody it can re grow in a day or 2 they are very good at growing back fins

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Lol, cool.
The tail fin kinda grew back though. I don't see any blood or smell anything weird in the bucket. And my mom said fish can't grow fins back!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store