DIY spraybar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
i just finished a DIY spraybar for my tank that is about 7 1/2 feet long. I am going to hook up the fx-5 to one side and my sun sun to the other side. What i am here to ask is how long i should wait before i put the pvc cemented and painted spraybar into the tank. it has been three or four days so i was thinking of doing it tonight but i wanted to ask and see what the feedback was. So feel free please comment away and maybe i can post some pics if i see enough interest by later tonight.:woot:

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Agreed. If it was just the PVC glue, 24-48 hours should be fine, but with paint too, I would wait a week just to be sure it's cured totally.

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
sounds like a plan. better safe than sorry

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
what is the flowrate of the sunsun? I would be concerned with the fx5 creating enough pressure to put strain on the sunsun.

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
with the spraybar being a lengthy 7 feet i didnt think that the pressure from the fx-5 would be a problem. I suppose i will have to make sure once i get it all set up but there are holes every 3/4"-1" so i think it will be alright

Izzy2

AC Members
Jun 22, 2006
King of Prussia, PA
Real Name
Bob
Test the system with the Fx5 only. See how strong the jets are. I've got Mag 350's & fluval 404's with diy spraybars that are 1/2 inch pvc that are 3 1/2 ft long. It took several tests and adjustments to fine tune the setups. Many more additional holes dremmeled at 90 and 180 degrees were necessary than I originally anticipated.

I'm skeptical about hooking the two filters into one spraybar. The filters are not of the same thru put capacity. The sun sun performance and motor life expectancy may be hindered. I've got no engineering background or real knowledge to back up my thoughts. Just think i read about it on one of the forums.

Last edited:

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
what i could do is block the spraybar at a connector that i have about 3/4 of the way towards one side. and just make the fluval end the long end, and the sun sun end the shorter end.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store