New long tentacle/clown combo.. Time to adjust?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tasty Burger

AC Members
Mar 24, 2010
Theresa, NY
I finally got a new clownfish after the tragedy 6 months ago, and he adjusted well after about two days. To grant him more comfort, I bought him a long tentacle anemone, which he found and fell in love with after less than 24 hours..

My big question is this:
The anemone is going through what looks like frequent purges. I see it at full size throughout the day, and shrunk up several times as well. The clown doesn't seem to care either way. He doesn't beat it up nonstop, but he does rub it down regardless of condition.

I have two 150W MH lights over my 90 gallon tank, so I know lighting should be plenty. Everything else thrives. (except for Xenia; I think my tank is too clean with only 4 fish. Not enough bioload)

It's only been tree days. Should I worry, or just give the anemone more time?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That's actually pretty characteristic of newly introduced anemones. As long as you don't see inverting through the mouth, gaping, or an unattached pedal disc, it sounds fairly normal for newer specimens. Has the anemone attached yet (this species buries its foot in the sand)? Is it still moving around? Your lighting is a bit on the dimmer side for animals toward the bottom, but should still be enough for this anemone.

Tasty Burger

AC Members
Mar 24, 2010
Theresa, NY
He's attached already, and the clownfish cleared all the extra sand out if it's way (thanks for that)

He's also accepted a hunk of scallop (my anemones eat well :p) so I know he's eating. I have a curlicue anemone as well, but I've had him for about three years, so it's been a while since I've had a new one. Kinda forgot how they "break in".

There's no gaping, either. It looks healthy, other than the constant shrinking and inflating. I didn't know if the clown was irritating it.

Tasty Burger

AC Members
Mar 24, 2010
Theresa, NY
UPDATE:
So far, so good..

It seems the shrinking fits are becoming less and less, and I almost die laughing when I watch the clown sleep on the anemone like a big pillow! I thought it was dead on the first night; it doesn't even wiggle.. Out like a light!

I love aquatic life and it's versatility!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
WISH MY PICASSOS could lay in an anem. they love their torch but boy do they not sleep well in that bad boy haha. it has two heads and they both sleep in one of them so i feel you in versatility department! sounds awsome! hope to see pics soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store