Just Bought A Crowntail Male Betta. Have Some Questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amour

AC Members
Jun 23, 2010
Hi! I had another thread about keeping a fantail goldie, and a black moor in a tiny 1.5 gallon tank. (Horrid I know) Me and my husband took them back because we really don't want to be mean to a poor fish, and want to be the best fish owners possible.

So, we bought a Crowntail Male Betta for our fish tank. We completely washed (not with soap, hehe) the tank and the plants and bought a new filter and gravel for it.

We also bought a heater and the special dechlorinating stuff for Bettas.

We have some questions now.

When we bought our new fishie, he was (and still is poor thing) in this little plastic bowl thing that had a lid (which we took off) with a hole in it. The water is disgusting that he's in.

We have the heater in his tank warming up the water.

So my questions are:

Should we wait the whole 24 hours to put him in the tank?

Because: The dechlorinating liquid which is "Tetra BetaSafe" that we got says it works in seconds. And also, the water that he's in currently is only room temperature. So it's about 70 degrees F. And his tank is eventually going to warm up to be 78 degrees F.

So if we take him from water that is 70 degrees and put him in 78 degree water, won't that hurt him or something?

Right now the thermometer says that the water is below 68 degrees. But should we put him in when it's about 70 degrees?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

rich311k

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich
I would get him out of that cup. The difference between 68 and 70 is minor so I would move him soon. You will want to acclimate him to your water. Put him in a tuperware bowl and add a little water from the tank every 5-10 minutes for about an hour and then transfer him.

Amour

AC Members
Jun 23, 2010
I would get him out of that cup. The difference between 68 and 70 is minor so I would move him soon. You will want to acclimate him to your water. Put him in a tuperware bowl and add a little water from the tank every 5-10 minutes for about an hour and then transfer him.

Thanks! Also, we have aquarium salt which we bought for our goldies, because Petco said it was good for gill function. Would it also be right for the Betta too?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Get a refund from Petco for the aquarium salt... All your betta really needs is weekly 50% (or biweekly) dechlorinated water changes. Congrats on your new boy - we're all looking forward to pics!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
It could if you use too much or don't dissolve it all the way in a cup of water before adding it. The only reason to use salt in a freshwater aquarium is when treating ich. You can use Epsom salt for constipation, but that's a whole other thing.

I would do at least twice weekly 50% or larger water changes in such a small tank. I would do as suggested, too, and gradually add your tap water to his container. When it starts getting full, take 1/4 of the water out and continue to replace with tap water and repeat until the water is nice and clear. At least twice.

Amour

AC Members
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for all the feedback guys. :)

We moved him into his tank last night and he seems to be a lot more happy with his new environment. Poor thing. It's so inhumane for Petco and other stores to keep those bettas in little jars like they do. When we went there, a lot of the fish were dead and decaying even.

Another question though. While he was still in his jar, I fed him and he ate happily.

And last night I tried feeding him again in his tank but it seemed the filter was blowing the food around so he couldn't eat it.

So this morning when I fed him I turned the filter off. But he still doesn't seem to find the food or be interested in it. One or the other. Is this normal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store