Fishing Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ok Ive only been fishing once when I was like 7. Well My nephew wants to go fishing now and I know nothing bout it. The one time I went we caught only 1 small blue gill which was also caught by the person next to us. 2 hooks 2 lines 2 fishermen 1 fish lol. Well needless to say I need some info.

I own no fishing equipment so what is a good rod to buy??? Fish out here are mainly crappie bass (large n small mouth) blue gill and catfish. I aint looking to land a big whopper but dont want to catch a minnow either lol. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd suggest a Zebco 33 reel and rod combo. It's easy to cast and tough enough to catch a surprisingly big fish. A small #6 or #8 hook tied on with a fisherman's knot with a split shot pinched about 6" above it, with a round clip bobber set anywhere from 2' to 4' above the hook. Use crickets or night crawlers as bait.

If you want to fish with lures, a small crankbait like a Rapala minnow works well for bass. There is also a small feather jig that works well for crappie and perch. Get several colors of those. Vary the depth and retrieval speed on lures until you find the level of water the fish are in. In the heat of the day the fish are generally lower in the water column.

Mark

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
All good info Wes. The Zebco reels are what most people start with( I still have one after 30+ yrs of fishing). If you want an econocmical setup for both species I would go with 6lb test, any lighter and you will have too many breakoffs from bass and any heavier and your pannies will shy away from it. Another great choice for pannies is the Mini-mite http://www.cubbylures.com/ . I use these alot open water and with a roof on the lakes(ice). Panfish love 'em.

If you need to fish any deeper than3-4" use a slip bobber http://www.catchingcrappie.com/slipbobber.html . The string and beads you can buy as a pack( just remember to rig it string, bead, bobber, then split shot and hook/jig). It allows you too set the string at amuch greater depth andnot have to worry about not tangling 6 feet of line. I pretty only use these any more. They aren't very difficult to rig even though I still mess this up when not thinking. If a fish runs with your bait but doesn't take the bobber down set the hook, Fish On!

For bass, floating rapalas,hula poppers and jitterbugs are great top water for early morning and late evening. Along with rapalas and other stick baits, plastics are a great choice. A worm hook is all you need and rigging these weedless is fairly simple. If you need help, ask your local bait/fishing store or come back here.
A good simple knot that I still use alot is the clinch knot http://www.animatedknots.com/improv...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com and at times the palomar knot http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com .

Crawlers are great live bait for both pannies and bass. I do tend to use more trout (red, brown) worms for pannies. They aren't as big as crawlers and not as thick either.
Hope this helps you some,fnc.

Last edited:

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
I almost forgot the single most important thing you need, a fishing license. Second most is a regulations book that will give will give you open seasons, size and slot limits and bag limits and special regs for certain bodies of water.

Whiteraven27

AC Members
Jun 23, 2010
My 2 cents worth :)

I don't see anyone has mentioned "waxies" (wax worms) These are a little higher price but holy cow- most pan fish can't resist them and they will hit on those when they turn up their noses at any other kind of worm. Added bonus? They aren't slimy like worms and won't leave you with stinky hands.

Favorite lure/jig hands down- the peg leg. Cheap but pretty effective and again, they will catch when other stuff isn't working.
http://store.ebait.com/merchant2/me...wg&Product_Code=PLEG&Category_Code=crappantrt
Those work incredible for perch, blue gill or crappie and there are different colors for different fishing conditions but the package usually tells you what to use when :) They are also cheap enough that if your nephew (or if you're like me and you're the one always getting tangled up lol!!) loses a couple its no big deal. They can even be fished with using a bobber- no, it doesn't say so but it works great for our 8 year old and helps her not drag them on the bottom and get tangled.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...0205067_100003003_100000000_100003000_100-3-3
Those are a fun version of spincast rod n reel and a great way to get a little one used to having the reel under the rod in case they want to switch to an open face spinning reel later on.

You didn't mention if you plan to catch n release or catch n have dinner - but our first time fishing we got so excited to go- had new poles, new tackle, new tackleboxes... whole nine yards and forgot the fish basket to put them in once we caught them! ugh!

Last but not least- you'll want a camera for your nephew's first fish!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Oh wow so much info lol. I aint gonna remember any of this ill have to re read it after I get some sleep. Ok I knew bout the fishing license didnt think bout the regulations. Thanks for the heads up.

It will most likely be catch and release. I dont know how to filet or debone fish and dont know how to cook it either lol. I always have my digital camera when I go to out door events. So no worries there.

I wanted to know your opinions on a lure bait type deal called the Banjo minnow. I remember seeing it on informercials a couple years back. Are they any good???

Also Ive seen fishing programs and sometimes they let the fish pull all kinds of line then start pulling the line back in but let the fish take more line out again why is that??? How do you know when to let the fish take more line if at all???

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Seen the banjo minnow but have never used em. You are refering to the "drag" when you see fish pulling line out. This is set according to fish species, line stretches only so much and some have zero stretch. It is used so that the pull from a fish doesn't snap your line, your pole or even straighten your hook out. When setting, just adjust your drag, grab it in your hand and pull on the line( might use gloves depending on line type). If it still pulls hard loosen drag some more and repeat. I error on the side of caution and keep it looser since too tight of a drag can cause you to loose that big slob. If a fish pulls out line too easily, tighten the drag some. How tight you set it is up to you, there is no such thing as a perfect set drag. It all depends on individual preference. Some people never use their drag, and really on there own feel of the fight and back reel/reel in as they see fit. I wouldn't try that though, it's one more thing to deal with.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Any ultra light rod and reel combo will serve you well, spinning or spin-cast. Avoid bait casters(they look like a wench with the crank and the spool on a horizontal axis) they take a good ammount of practice to learn to cast properly. Pick up some split shot sinkers, size 6,8,or even 10 panfish hooks, I like cigar bobbers personally, and a package of hotdogs. Put your bobber on, then clamp the sinker to the line, tie on your hook and add a small piece of hotdog over the end of the hook. Drop it in the water, when you see the float go under, pull up and retrieve your panfish.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
LOL Hotdogs??? Ill keep that in mind let see if my nephew doesnt eat them all before we get there. Dang that kid loves hotdogs. lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store