Recycling Mercury-Containing Light Bulb (Lamp)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How do you dispose your old light bulbs?

• Hazardous waste facility

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • With normal trash

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Garbage for recycling

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Throw it out of the window

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Screw environment; I like ice cream

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't really understand that website. I guess it's not really meant for the home consumer but more for businesses and non-profits. Even though there is a consumer residential CFL recycling kit for $25, I click on the link to get more info and it just takes me to a "shop now" area where I can buy bulbs for Hotels, Churches, etc...they seem to have no info on their $25 recycling pack.

Anyway I would love to recycle my light bulbs easily, just like I would love for my work to recycle the ink cartridges for the copier, which no "we buy your ink cartridges" type place accepts. On the cartridge they say they're recyclable plastic, but there is nowhere to recycle #5 plastic in my county.

This is what my county has to say about light bulbs. Notice they say nothing about the home consumer - who wouldn't care about tossing their light bulbs in the trash. Only the businesses, who are required to by law, would!

Marion County Board of County Commissioners is sponsoring a program for all Small Businesses in Marion County to recycle fluorescent lamps, UV lamps and high intensity discharge lamps.

Businesses generating spent fluorescent lamps and high intensity discharge lamps have several options for managing them as required by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Chapter 62-737, and Florida Administrative Code regulations.

1) Recycle your fluorescent, UV lamps and high intensity discharge lamps, even those with lower mercury content.

2) Businesses generating 10 or less spent lamps per month per location may dispose of these lamps at the Marion County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center at no charge. EXCLUDING UV LAMPS.

3) If more than 10 spent lamps are generated per month, there will be a disposal fee

4) There will be a disposal fee on ALL UV lamps

Lamps for recycling need to be brought to Marion County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center. Located at the Baseline Landfill Monday thru Friday 8 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. excluding holidays.

DESCRIPTION COST PER UNIT

Straight lamps, equal to or less than 4 foot $ 0.28
Straight lamps, greater than 4 foot $ 0.31
Compact fluorescent lamps $ 0.31
U - Tubes type lamps & round type $ 0.48
High intensity discharge lamps $ 0.86
Mercury vapor
Metal halide
High pressure sodium
Broken fluorescent lamps $ 0.60
UV Lamps $3.00
ARC Lamps $3.00

I should just go ahead and accumulate 10 bulbs, go there (approximately 15 miles away), register, and drop in the bulbs. But not surprisingly, I don't. :eek:

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store