Need some more suggestions.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tropics007

AC Members
Jul 26, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Last weekend our airconditioning unit overheated.After having someone come look at it, we were told to get a new one. ( cost was $5,000)

I wanted a second opinion ( which I got), and the other company told us all we needed was a part. We do have another person coming in to look at the unit on Monday for a 3rd and final opinion.

My sister and I are boiling in the house. It is 83 degrees now, and getting warmer.

My question is, should we go ahead and get a new unit? We just purchased a part no longer than 2 years ago, and would hate for the unit to keep breaking.

My sister and I will def. have to start selling most if not all of our fish, and aquariums.

BTW: I took the photo around lunch time today...

temp..jpg

temp..jpg

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I assume this is Central air?

How old is your unit?
Do you know the SEER rating of it?

How much would it cost to have repaired?

Have you considered getting a window unit?
could buy a new one pretty cheap (compared to replacing the central air)

tropics007

AC Members
Jul 26, 2008
Wilmington, NC
I assume this is Central air?

How old is your unit?
Do you know the SEER rating of it?

How much would it cost to have repaired?

Have you considered getting a window unit?
could buy a new one pretty cheap (compared to replacing the central air)

The unit is actually around 9 years old.

The estimate to have it repaired ( the part) was $850+ labor. He said that their is a chance of it breaking again, so you might want to just consider a new one.

Our home is around 4,000 sq. ft. ( incudes garage space).

I know we need a new unit because this is the 3rd time, it has broke ( overheated). It is just spending $5,000+ labor to put in a new one. That is alot of money.

I will update the thread with what the other company says on Monday.

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
thats what sucks about hvac stuff. The real cost is very low. but the markup is tremendously high. if only you know someone in the trade. Thats why there are so many people that do that heating and air. the profit margin is out of the roof.

kianna

Keep on swimming
Sep 15, 2008
Lakewood, WA
What about shopping around for the unit itself? Purchase it (hopefully at a reduced price) and then find someone to install it. Might save some $$ that way. It cant be too difficult to swap out units ! Although I suppose this time of year in N.C. is prime season (thats the bad part).

Anyway sorry to hear about your dilemma :uhoh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store