Eating sized bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am going fishing soon and I was planning to bring some bass home. I was just wondering what size the bass should be. I don't want to have any small fry but I don't want to take any of the really large fish which might be the good breeders. So what would be a good size to bring home?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Your bag and size limits are likely set by the state game wardens. Check with them to make sure the ones you want to keep are legal.

For me, 2 to 3 pounders are the best eating. Smaller tend to be a pain for me to fillet, larger gets into the breeding stocks.

Mark

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Along with the state regs, certain bodies of water have there own limits(size, slot, and bag). I agree with Wes on his size recommendations for eater sizes. Your state dnr website would be a good resource to check or your fishing store( even walmart) should have regulation books on hand.

Bioshock

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Besides state regs be aware that larger fish have more built up contaminates than smaller sized fish. Largemouth can also taste 'off' during the summer months unless from a really cold deep water body, smallmouth are fine and taste better overall imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store