neons, black neons, cheap rainbows, and a big old puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

charney

AC Members
Jun 9, 2006
I have a 120 gallon planted tank with a 16 inch fahaka puffer. In the past I had a school of neons, rosboras, and giant dinos in the tank with her. This mix did great with her. She was interested in these fish, but rarely ever caught them. I moved about a two months ago and my tank crashed and I lost all the little guys. The puffer was fine. About a week ago my I decided I wanted a little more going on in the tank so I added five black neons, four $2 pet smart rainbows, and eleven neons. Since that time my school of neons has dropped down to five. I have not lost anything else. My question is do black neons or the rainbow fish pick on the little guys? (I know many of you are thinking its probably the 16 inch monster, but I really don't think it is. I say this because in the past she had trouble catching them and now she is really well fed and shows no interest in them). There is no ammonia or nitrite in the tank. I forget the nitrate value but it is low. The pH is 7.2. Thank you for your thoughts.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What species of rainbow?

I've never seen or heard of any bow or black neon to be particularly nippy towards other fish. Usually they will pick on members of their own school but nothing fatal.

I have to say that it's either the puffer or just bad stock. I believe that the majority of neons are still imported from the wild since breeding them isn't the easiest. Plus, big box stores also aren't known for having great stock in general either.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Lose as in dead, or lose as in disappeared.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store