What to do with baby BN?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
My BN pleco's spawned a couple weeks ago, and while I eventually will try to sell any offspring they produce, out of this first batch of fry there was only one survivor.

He/she is probably almost 1/2" long now, and luckily I did not switch on my powerhead the other day, as have discovered that is where he likes to hang out!! Anyways, my dilemma is that since I probably will not sell this one (at least not yet) where do I grow him out some? I feel like there is not enough room to keep him in the 29G (1m/2f BN + 10 neons) and there is also not enough room to keep him in my 55G either (2 angels, 12 black neons, 13 peppered cories, 1 GBR, 1 BN pleco, 1 rubberlip pleco). The only place I could put him is in the 10G that I have which only has a betta and a snail.

I don't think I can keep him long term in there though, but would it be Ok to keep him in there until he is around 2-3" long? At that point I can either sell him a little easier, or use him at an LFS as an example of the fish that I can hopefully breed and supply them with.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
Only solution I can see is to buy another tank. I'd go for over 100 gallons just to be on the safe side!

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Is that a regular powerhead (not one of the cage-like koralias)? If so, add a prefilter to the intake and a mesh screen on the outlet to prevent fish from swimming inside. Scary how they like to do that, huh?

Good luck with your BN baby. Hope to see pics soon.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Most definitely you have plenty of room in that 29G to grow him out. I use a 29G to grow out perhaps 60 or so, and their tankmates are a dozen or so baby sterbai. Lots of zucchini for the little one.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Most definitely you have plenty of room in that 29G to grow him out. I use a 29G to grow out perhaps 60 or so, and their tankmates are a dozen or so baby sterbai. Lots of zucchini for the little one.
Even with the 3 adults in there?

I moved the baby last night into the 10G, but if I can grow out a batch in the 29G then do not need to stress so much about finding another tank to grow out any future fry. The parents are working on the same spot of wood again.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Yes, even with 3 adults in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store