10G Vampire Crab Paludarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Summer's here and I'm stuck at home. Why not make a paludarium for a small project?

I'm using my 10G tank for this project. I had a single 2.5 betta divider that sparked the idea of using those dividers to divide the land and water section. I had to get two more which brought me to 3 dividers. They were enough to create a division in the tank.

Fauna:
Aquatic- shrimp
Terrestrial - need suggestions

Flora:
Aquatic - moss and others
Terredtiral - Venus Fly Traps and need suggestions

Pics:

Planned division

Finished messy silicone job:

Silicone is currently curing. I'll wait till friday to test fill the whole thing and see if there is a big spot I missed to prevent the water from going into the land area.

I NEED SUGGESTIONS: For aquatic/terrestrial fauna and flora. THANKS!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hmmm this should be pretty interesting. I dont have any suggestions for you at the moment.

Well actually could try some dwarf frogs for the aquatic part or some firebelly toads for both land and aquatic. Im sure others will have better ideas.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I've been doing a research on a few species such as anoles and eastern newts but I again, I gotta keep doing research. Plus I have time to decide on what to put in the tank.

Is anyone good at figuring out the volume of the water area for me?

Attached is a picture

Attachments

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I think you would have to cross out the anole idea. From a lil reasearch I did there not good swimmers and would be at risk of drowning if they fell in the water and didnt get out in time.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, I probably wouldn't have thought of that. Though I'm gonna have a lot of vines and stuff going around the tank. Are there any lizards similar to anoles that are good swimmers?

I'm not a fan of frogs but I kinda like small ones like FBTs but non of the creepy looking ones.

Last edited:

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I was planning to have a few different spots in the water where they can come out of such as vines and this huge piece of driftwood. Would that work and help the anoles?

Nim Dibbley

Nim Dibbley
Feb 20, 2006
Sacramento, California
i think your best bet is just to stick with mostly aquatic newts like firebelly newts. there are some larger lizards that could swim, but wouldn't work in a 10gallon tank. Also, if your lizards eat crickets you will end up with a lot of drowned cricekts...and then larger newts will probably eat your shrimp.

i did a lot of research to do something very similar and it seemed like it was going to be very difficult to get everything to coexist. primarily lizards and newts dont mix well with anything they cant mate with and even then there may be issues. I instead ending up with one 20gal for an axolotl and another for 2 leopard geckos.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Get fire belly toads and maybe a micro rasbora (chilli, or others??) Although I don't know wheteher the fire bellys would eat the fishys....

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store