New Additions...ID the Ricordea please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The top is Amblygobius hectori, a relatively difficult-to-keep fish in that it has a highly specialized diet. It requires large amounts of sand infauna, as well as filamentous algae. It won't typically do well without either. The bottom looks more like Discosoma neglecta, judging from the protuberances around the periphery.

FishPish

AC Members
May 31, 2010
There is plenty for this fish to eat in the tank already. The basslet has even started accepting this fish into its home for cleaning. I could go out and buy a couple safe sand worms probably if the fish needs something. Relative sites say care of fish is one of the easiest. Currently hes just been filter feeding and eating plankton. He doesn't touch the frozen or flake food.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
There is plenty for this fish to eat in the tank already. I could go out and buy a couple safe sand worms probably if the fish needs something. Relative sites say care of fish is one of the easiest.
To the contrary in most cases. I don't see them doing too well very often. You also have to be skeptical of many retail-type sites, IME. Also, benefits by having this fish are slim. All they do is deplete sandbed infauna, which tends to be more of a bad thing than a good one. If you have enough area and a large enough bed, that can be mitigated somewhat, but a supply of filamentous algae is also necessary for this species and its cousin, the Rainford's goby.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Something I'd like to clear up is that I'm not trying to be a killjoy--just trying to be honest with you for both your sake and that of the fish. Many retail sites and LFSs would have you believe differently in order to sell a "product."

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I have to agree with Amphiprion. From my personal experience the "Hector's Goby" is a very difficult one to maintain successfully in an aquarium. I have personally never met anyone who had one last more than 3 months.. they all starve to death from my experience. Same can be said for the Twinspot Goby as well, another difficult one.

FishPish

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I understand this logic. At the same time though, I don't think that the employees come in and remove fish corpses daily at ExoticAquatics. They have the right mixes, and my short experience has been relatively successful. I've been shopping here for a month now and I have observed the same specimens over and over prospering instead of declining. This fish is also listed as a cleaner and not a sand sifter. He rarely sand sifts. He mainly sifts the debris on the rocks. The fish is probably more moderate care level as Dr Foster and Smith says as opposed to the two extremes.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1912&pcatid=1912

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Well, best of luck... hope it is one of the rare success stories. We have all been there ourselves.. getting something for our tank then getting home and finding out it wasn't the best choice to make.. I know I have at least a dozen "oops, bad idea" moments in my time with fish and other critters like the Purple Nudibranch.

FishPish

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Thanks guys. I will be sure to let you know when he dies according to what you've said.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
At the same time though, I don't think that the employees come in and remove fish corpses daily at ExoticAquatics.
I can guarantee they do. Even the best LFSs will have to remove dead fish daily or near daily, unless they have very little stock. That's just statistically speaking.

As far as the fish is concerned, you have several other reliable sources to take a look at--you don't have to believe Ace or myself. You can confirm the fish's care for yourself by looking at articles, including those made by Scott Michael.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck. I'm not saying the fish is impossible--I'm just saying that you need to provide all the appropriate conditions and food sources for it to do well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store