Shubunkin swim bladder help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fozvickers

Registered Member
Jun 30, 2010
Hello to anyone who can help,

My 4 year old Shubunkin Judy has swim bladder. Went on holiday and left her one of those 2 week holiday tablet things you can get as she's always been fine on them before. Anyway, she didn't really eat this, when I got back she's gasping at the surface and has been doing this for the past 4 days since I got home... wonder if in the heat and the fact she didn't eat the tablet caused the bacteria to multiple, starving all the oxygen?? I've obviously taken out the uneaten tablet, done 2 big water changes, and I already have an air stone pump and filter and a couple of plants. She's not eating her flake food, but realise from here I should be starving her anyway... Tonight i tried to spoon feed crushed peas into her mouth but it was impossible as she just kept spitting it out straight away. is there anything else I can do to help her if i can't get peas inside her? should I buy another air stone and get some more plants? Is there any medicine that could help?

HELP ME!!

Thank you so much

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I am not pretending to be an expert, but I know how worrisome it can be when you have a non eating goldie. If it's reassuring, goldies go a while without eating before it harms the fish. Still, you want to get to the root cause. Some things that might help us (especially the goldie keepers who are more experienced than I am) to figure out what's going wrong are water parameters readings from the tank. Can you tell us the ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte and PH readings? A water change and the oxygenation sounds like a good idea. Is she in a tank ( I assume so, if you are using an airstone.) How big is the tank? Is there anything in with her? (In other words, what is the bioload of the tank?) What were the water temps when you got back?

Is there any change to the appearance of the fish? Is she still pooping? Usually gasping at the surface is indicative of a quick change in water quality. If it were my goldie, that would be the first place I'd look. Since you did a rapid water change (good idea) give her a little while to settle in and re-introduce the shelled, mashed peas. If she is hungry enough, she'll eat it! If she is still eliminating, then it is a pretty good sign that you aren't dealing with a blockage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store