Anyone with pet Chickens...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Anyone on here have pet chickens? Or have/breed Bantam females for sale?
Wondering if I'm the first, lol.

maverickbr77

la-te-da
Jan 26, 2009
Lowville, NY
Real Name
Adam
I used to have chickens more commercial use than pets. Everything from the giant varieties to bantams, but never again. They weren't all that bad but clean up was horrendous.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Oh wow. I plan on having up to 20 Bantams of all sorts, maybe one rooster eventually. They will be free ranged on 2 acres, get a good sized bit of the barn as a coop and hopefully we will get to snack on tiny eggs, lol.

maverickbr77

la-te-da
Jan 26, 2009
Lowville, NY
Real Name
Adam
If memory serves Bantam eggs taste slightly richer than many of your standard chickens. Free range makes the eggs even better. If they are free range clean-up isn't so bad but ours were mostly cooped with a small outdoor area. Grab a couple ameraucanas if you want some nice color diversity in your eggs(blues and greens)

Edit: my brother had a beautiful bantam rooster that would fly up and ride around on his shoulder or head

BigNorsk

AC Members
Nov 13, 2008
Raised bantams for years, came to know exactly how close you can pass to a bantam with chicks.

They aren't great for egg production and if they are free range they will brood and you will have a hard time finding the eggs. Assuming you have some cover and you aren't just doing a hawk feeding experiment. With cover you get more coyotes but as long as the bantams have some nice boxelder trees to roost in you don't tend to lose too many.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
I've had them for years raised them also, all varieties of Cochin's and the like,.. i prefer fat ones,..lol don't like the sebrights or skinny legged ones,.. but had to get rid of them as we had a mess of raccoons that were massacring them,.. and my poor call ducks,.. i raised them also,.. lost 30 in one night coons went on a killing spree,.. left all for dead and never touched the eggs,..

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Chickens? Never had them, but i do like chicken... i mean chickens. I knew some people in SC that had a large property with a large number of chickens. IDK what kind, but they had i think about 4 maybe 5 roosters.(edit: as well as the chickens) The chickens were free-range and there wasn't a lot of poo or other stuff there. I think you will be fine so long as they don't get over crowded. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store