Cleaning tanks while pregnant?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
My husband and I are trying for our first child. No idea if I'm pregnant yet but I'd like to take all the precautions beforehand anyways. This has been no problem until I decided to do this week's water changes. From what I've read online, most people say don't, because of the bacteria. Well I am going to wash my hands, duh.

Part of me thinks that the people who are saying don't are the same people that think pets are dirty. (We all know the type.)

Does anyone know if there are any huge dangers with doing water changes while pregnant?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would think there wouldn't be any problem with doing tank maintenance while pregnant. us ladies don't become feeble little invalids when there's a bun in the oven, lol.

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
LOL I'm not worried about being feeble. I was just worried that there was something similar to the kitty litter thing. I even read that it is mentioned on some "Don't" lists. Granted, some of this info is coming from yahoo questions and crap like that. Figured I'd ask here where having fish tanks is the norm. ;)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i think as long as you make sure to wash after you will be fine. from what i've read fish diseases and such are not transferable to humans except for fish tuberculosis, which isn't a common disease.

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
I've studied three years in Medschool so far and the only mentioned thing about pets and pregnancy is Toxoplasma gondii from cat feces which produces toxoplasmosis. Anyone could get infected with vibrio infections from cleaning tanks but the problem arises if you cut yourself in the tank or with something in the tank (let's say a rock or some wood) and there's also mycobacterium marinum (fish TB). However, this is not a disease transferable to the fetus. Remember that maternal and fetal blood does not mix. There is a barrier between them. The only known to cross the barrier are known as the TORCH organisms: Toxoplasma, Rubella, Cytomegalovirus, and Herpes. The other way of infecting your baby would be during delivery with STD's. Good luck on your attempts of being a mother!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Well... you're not supposed to lift anything heavy when pregnant in the latter stages- so use smaller containers or a hose to refill. Get hubby to haul the water out.

And... you may need to stand sideways to the tank when cleaning it when you get to the 9th month.

... and if you get cravings for fish, shrimp, or snails... STEP AWAY FROM THE TANK!

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Well thanks! That helps a bunch, Gustavo.

@ Wycco, I have a 50 foot Python now, so water changes are a breeze.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store