Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Raki

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Visit site
I want to get an anemone I already have two Clarkii Clowns ( who like to sleep on their sides almost at the top of the tank scared the begeeies outta me the first night) :D They are very attached to each other . I am worried about them fighting over the anemone. Should I get two anemones so they remain friendly to each other and don't fight over one anemone ?
Also what is a good hearty anemone to start with :confused:

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Captive raise clowns need a anemone as much as they need a bicycle, meaning they may not even care there is a anemone in there, so dont get a anemone in hopes of clowns hosting in it, as they probably wont.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
What is your setup like? It is often very hard to get an anemone to live in aquariums. Even advanced aquarists have trouble with them. And as was mentioned often times Clowns don't actually take to them. Just do a search in this forum for anemone and you will most likley find that the only results are people begging for help as their anemones are dieing. These are very long lived creatures in the wild, up to a hundred years or more. But more often than not they die in matter of 6 months to a few years in captivity. This is often not even the hobbiest's fault as the collection and shipping methods is what ultimatley speell doom for these beautiful creatures.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Clarkii clowns are the least choosy of the Amphiprion species about host anemones. However, I agree with the previous posts about poor survival of anemones in captivity.

If you are serious about having an anemone, then it is probably a good idea to have some experience with other aspects of reef keeping. Have a healthy reef, with adequate lighting and excellent, stable water, quality before putting the anemone in. In my opinion, your tank is about 5 months too new (minimum), does not have enough live rock. I don't see your lighting posted in your specs.

Captive-reared bubble-tip anemone clones are available, and are a natural host species for clarkii. But please be sure your tank is ready for it. By comparison, keeping fish is dead easy.

Raki

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Visit site
Thanks for the info , I will put the anemone thought away for now I wasn't getting one for the clowns I just think the things are very interesting. As is just about everything I have in the tank so far.
:D

racerX

AC Members
Jan 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Well after getting my thoughts handed to me about getting an anenome. Thanks mogurnda, I found an easier way out, thanks again mogurnda, I got a torch coral and my clarkii's treat it like a host. They even spit food bits in it. I guess that I not only fooled my friends but I guess i fooled the clowns too. Plus its in the very edge of the water turbulance so it sways like an anenome too. Sometimes we just need a reality check. I've watched the anenome that i wanted at the LFS slowly wither away. What looked like a prize specimen is now looking like dried fruit. And this LFS has been open for like 30 years. So if they can't get it right I'm not goin to be responsible for its death.

Shane

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
You're very welcome. My clowns use a toadstool leather as their primary host. So many aquarists want to have clown/anemone setups, myself included, and it takes a while to realize that it may not be such a good idea.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
My clowns have posted a home-sweet-home sign ;) on a clay pot.

If your clowns seem very attached to each other, it sounds as if they've already paired off. I would hazard that, whatever (ifever) they choose to host in (on? around?) they won't fight over it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store