World Record Wels Catfish caught

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Thought this was pretty interesting...what a huge fish!

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2969

A fisherman in Italy has caught the largest ever freshwater catch in Europe and the biggest Wels catfish in the world.

The catfish weighed in at just over 113 kg (17.8 stones) and measured 2.5m (8.2') and was caught in the River Po at Mantova, northern Italy by angler Roberto Godi . The massive fish took 45 minutes to land using a bait of bream. The catfish was photographed and then returned to the water unharmed.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Thanks for sharing! Those cats are freaking awesome looking. I saw an episode about them on River Monsters, I think.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I was also happy to see the guy took his measurements and pictures, then released it back into the river.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
a fish like that could feed a small town, why throw it back???

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Why throw it back? Large fish of that size are very rare and if it was a female she would produce alot of eggs that would have the genes to grow big and survive so the species can continue to prosper.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Glad he released it! What an awesome catch! Kudos to the fisherman.

Why throw it back? Large fish of that size are very rare and if it was a female she would produce alot of eggs that would have the genes to grow big and survive so the species can continue to prosper.
A fish that large and that old may be beyond the age of fecundity whether male or female. Releasing it was the best action in the interest of the fish.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store