Glow cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Interesting as a novelty item I guess, but I wouldn't keep them in my tanks, especially at the ridiculously high price these fish are sure to command when finally introduced.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Why do they always pick neon colors?

I think it's cool otherwise. I mean a nice blue fish is hard to find. A bright blue angel would be a nice addition to any tank IMO. The fish aren't harmed though like Sploke said they will be ridiculously priced.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Look at Glo-Fish, they charge 5 dollars more per fish than normal or even long fin danios!!!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Man, I wanna set up a tank with those and the green glo-fish, and decorate it to look like a nuclear waste dump site.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Man, I wanna set up a tank with those and the green glo-fish, and decorate it to look like a nuclear waste dump site.
You have a couple of years till they're available..

and they'll more than likely be legal in the US too. ;)

awesome idea tho.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
It's funny how many people say "it's no different than line breeding" - umm, duh, yes it is. I find albino fish so ugly but I think "at least it happens in nature" - this would never in a million years happen. Scientists toiled for years to make these aquatic "cash cows" - for no other reason than to make money satisfying the poor taste of, for the most part, newbies. And I'm sure it doesn't further genetic medicine one iota to make fluorescent fish...contrary to what that clueless person kept saying. Perhaps it helps further an understanding of how genes work, but that's it.

It's just wrong, IMO. Why don't people make toy dogs that glow in the dark? People would be in an uproar, that's why. But angelfish and convicts in neon green and orange are perfectly ok. Even though they're more toy than fish. Look at the way so many people keep flowerhorns and blood parrots...often times poorly, as status symbols more than pets. (Apologies to the MFK people, many of whom I know do a great job keeping these species.)

People have a fit about GM foods. But how tempting is it to produce higher yielding crops that are resistant to pests? It seems like a win win until you think about it and realize...oh, maybe not such a good idea to limit biodiversity even further and cause unintended harm to other organisms. (Perhaps even us, we don't know yet.)

Genetically modified fish...as wrong as cloning, IMO.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store