Getting an Eel!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Ok so it's a little early to get excited but I'm 90% certain I will have a Tang eel by the end of the month. I was hoping to get a Mastacembelus plagiostoma but instead it looks like I will be getting a Mastacembalus elipsifer. I'm hoping to get one from Dave's fish and they are 5"+ according to the site.
Anyway the set up right now is a 29 gallon planted Tang tank. This will be a temporary home while I get him use to feeding. The tankmates are very mild. Right now the tank has flourite in it but I heard eels prefer sand. I'm thinking about replacing it with pool filter sand.
I'm working on eel proofing the tank (any suggestions are welcome). I got a pair of tongs for target feeding and I'll be picking up some blood worms. Any suggestions on food? I'm hoping NLS can be a stable with meaty foods added in.
I need to double check my PH but last time I checked it was 8.2 with super hard water. This will be my first wild caught fish so I am concerned about having the proper parameters. Suggestions? Any tips on acclimation?

Lastly anything I'm forgetting?
Once he is big enough and I'm confident about feeding he will be moved to the 80 gallon where I plan to target feed at night to make sure he's getting the meaty foods he needs.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Looks like you're on the right track, just remember tank mates small enough have a chance at being eaten, blood worms are great to get them to start eating. I try to have just a very slight current to make them move and make him think that the worms are live.
As for sealing the HOB filter off, I honestly have no idea lol, all of my eel tanks had canisters on them, so I just cut a hole for the intake and one for the output in the back of a versa top. Floating grass like hornwort is a great way to filter out some of the light and get them active during the daytime.

can't wait to hear more about him, they are a blast!

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
You are going to have a hard time getting the eel to eat pellets. Though I havent had M. elipsifer (definitely high on my want list), all the other eels I've own strictly ate worms.

An easy method for feeding eels is putting the food in a bottle so only eel can reach the food. Eels are smart so should catch on quickly. Maybe even try hand feeding once the eel settles in.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I've seen videos and read about elipsifers eating pellets so I'm hoping to give it a shot. I have read they are not as picky as most spiny eels.

I love the coke bottle ideas as well! That would be a good way to get some meaty foods to my synos as well.

As far as set up I was reading about some SW eels and how some people use PCV pipe tunnels under the sand for the eels. This seems like a pretty cool idea I'll have to try.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
You should be able to get an elipsifer to eat NLS pellets, but frozen bloodworms are fine as a regular diet IME. Don't expect to keep amy mbuna fry though, they can't hide from an eel.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Has anyone had this species before? In addition to this being my first eel it's also my first wild caught fish. The tank has sand in it along with a rock pile. The tankmates are mild but not bite sized. I am in the process of eel proofing the tank with some plastic mesh. Now I'm not sure about feeding. I have some blood worms and freeze dried mytic shrimp. I can also get some fish and shrimp from the grocery store.
My ph is very steady at 8.0 and I have very hard water. The Ph in Tanganyika is higher though. Should I try and make adjustments?
Any further help is welcome I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
Are you getting it from your lfs? I believe they are pretty tough so I wouldnt stress too much. Just acclimatize it slowly and you should be fine!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store