Double Trunk Elephant Nose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
So the LFS I work at has had this little guy for a while. The last one they had hid all day and then it ended up dying suddenly after a month or so. This one came out to greet me during feeding time so of course I had to get him.

After getting a nice side picture I pulled out my long overdue atlas of aquarium fish and IDed him as a campylomormyrus rhynchophorus.

The last mormyrid I had was a 3 1/2" freshwater baby whale. I first had it in a 20g with a betta and a bunch of cool looking small feeder guppies. I wasn't very smart and put it in too early, but I didn't have any problems. Then I got a 3.5" raph and took out the betta. They did okay except for the baby whale nipping fins occasionally. Then a few months later I got two 3.5" belonesox and the raph was about 5 1/2". The baby whale hadn't been eating as much as he used to and died. I am pretty sure it was overcrowding that killed him.

When I did have him though, I couldn't help but notice his constant hyperventilation. He seriously never stopped hyperventilating from day 1.

This one is in a 20g with the two old belonesox. He is smaller than the last baby whale and is in a tank with less messy fish. I am planning on putting him in a 40br with some african knives or something along that line.

I will be feeding him primarily bloodworms and glassworms with occasional brine shrimp and krill.

Does anybody have any tips on how to keep this guy healthy and happy?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Cool!

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Want!