Ace's ATS Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ok.. been putting this off waaay too long, partly because I have 1000 different ideas in my head on how to build it.. but there is only so much designing one can do in their head without actually trying it to see if it will work... So here is the start for my weekend project. More pics to follow to show how I am incorporating it into my overflow.

Parts - Less than $20 INCLUDING the bulb, which was $8.

Plastic screen, picked up several. 33cents each at local fabric store.

CFL 3500k CLF bulb (Hoping this is enough, tough to incorporate a lot of lighting onto my sump)

Back of light showing 3500k.

More to come as I start putting this thing together......

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Screens are done... Here is what I did...

Cut screens in half, going to use 2 screens total, 4 pieces to double layer it.

Used hole saw and scraped each side for about 5 minutes to get a real rough sand paper feel to the screen. I left 4 squared non-scraped that will slide into the pipe on the right side of the pic below.

Next.. the PVC work and changing out the lid on my rubbermaid sump. Need to cut new holes in the lid to fit my new layout. Luckly I used 2 rubbermaids with foam between them as insulation so I had another lid left over for this occasion.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Looks like a great start, Ace. My only recommendation from what I can see is that the screen needs to be much, much rougher. In fact, I would do it in several sessions over the course of a few days. You should barely be able to recognize it once it's done--literally that rough. Mine is so rough that a razor blade couldn't even possibly remove it.

Lighting should work, but that is considered the minimum. Be sure you have enough coverage, too (how are you lighting the second screen?). I think growth at the ends will be a bit anemic, but that may not really be a problem, as you may have enough to begin with as far as filtration is concerned.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
My arms are about to fall off as I type this... but yes, I 100% agree, screens need to be rougher than what I pictured... once I get the feelings back in my arms from the last 30 minutes of scraping screens I will take a new picture. ;)

As for how I will make it... Here is my sump now. The overflow is now T'd off at the bottom to allow for 2 filter socks. I am going to put a 1-1/2" 90 under the lid on each side of the overflow instead of straight pipes going into filter socks like it is now. Then I will have 1-1/2" to 1" reducers on the elbo. Then 1" PVC for the screens, another 1" elbo and a cap on the ends, which I will have drilled holes in the lid so the caps stick through and support the PVC/Screens. Both screens will come towards the center of the sump at 45degree angles so the elbos will touch. Pics will come to show exactly what I am talking about. Skimmer will be moved back a little. The Flood light will sit in the center of the triangle and the light you see in the picture now will sit on the left/outside. I need to get one more of the same type of light for the other side. Hope that makes sense... still got plenty of work to do. It is a pain just to pull off the lid now... have to disconnect my return pump and a bunch of other stuff.

Quick Paint picture to show what I am planning.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah, it's a pain, but absolutely necessary. I see your idea now. That's probably the only circumstance I can think of where you'd be able to get by with less. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
scrape boy scrape !!!!!!

i personally use a cordless drill to do my scraping for me!

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
LOL.. well.. it only took 3 passes to get them as scraped as they can be... plastic started to get thin and tear in a couple spots so I think it was telling me it had enough.

Just got the lid off the sump, all PVC is built except for the slits I need to cut in them for the screens. Getting ready to cut new holes in the lid. Also picked up a couple smaller reflectors and bulbs for the outside of the screens and some thin velcro strips to secure the screens to the pipe. I think velcro will work just as well as zip ties and are easier to take off/put on when cleaning.

Pics to come within the next couple hours as I put it all back together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store