peacock eel in a South American Cichlid tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Would this work?
I have 1 golden severum, 1 tourquoise severum, 1 green terror, 1 gold gourami, 1 kissing gourami, 2 angels and a featherfin synodontis.

Would a peacock eel be ok with this bunch?

Tank is well planted/established 120G

Thanks.

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
I would be afraid the GT would think the eel is dinner. Peacocks just dont get very big so that would worry me. Btw your severums dont eat your plants?

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
The GT is only approx. 2.5" right now. I would've thought my 8" Severum would be the one to bug it but maybe not. I finally found a couple plants that my severums leave alone, they do dig them up once in a while but I have so many plants that I don't have to worry about that. Believe me, it took about 2 years, a lot of trips to the Pet Store and some cursing to get an established plant setup that would work with my setup!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I'd go with a tiretrack rather than a peacock eel. They grow large enough to be relatively safe from the cichlids and are hardier in general as well. In any case, make sure the tank is completely and tightly covered to keep the eel in.

drgnfrc13

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Kentucky
Yeah a peacock would be fine with those tankmates, I don't think the GT would bother it as long as it has a few good hiding places and there isn't a large size difference. btw, they usually get to 10" and their growth rate isn't usually that much different from that of a GT, so as long as you get at least a 3 incher, I don't think you'll have any problems.

drgnfrc13

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Kentucky
I'd go with a tiretrack rather than a peacock eel. They grow large enough to be relatively safe from the cichlids and are hardier in general as well. In any case, make sure the tank is completely and tightly covered to keep the eel in.
A tire track eel would outgrow the OP's tank. They can easily get to over 30" in under 3 years and will usually max out at around 36" (though larger is possible), so a tire track eel is not an option for a 120 gallon unless he can upgrade to a larger tank within the next couple years.

To the OP: if you could find one, Mastacembelus zebrinus would be the perfect spiny eel for your tank, they can get to about 16", but aren't very common, ime.

Last edited:

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Thanks drgnfrc13. I will look into getting the peacock - they are approx. 4-5" at the LFS. MY tank is wide open though, I don't have a lid on it - is it necessary for the peacock?!

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
Lid is very necessary! I had a peacock about a year ago and forgot to close the lid one day and then found it dried out on the floor hours later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store