Feeding a wild baby bird?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sarahann31190

Animal collector
May 28, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
So I got a call from another employee from my work asking if I could take a wild baby bird that some customers brought in. They said it fell from a tree. Of course I said yes. I went over to get it from the employees house and its pretty small, but already growing feathers, has it's eyes open, and it somewhat walking around. And HUNGRY:) I brought it home tonight and fed it. I've set my alarm for 2 hours. It ate very well and seems pretty healthy.

Is there anything I should know or be aware of when raising a wild baby bird?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you know what kind it is?

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Wildlife Rehabber

If I were you, I'd look for a wildlife rehabilitator immediately. Dietary needs, diagnosis of possible injuries, concerns over diseases/parasites that can be transferred to humans ... Caring for injured/orphaned wildlife is not easy. Good luck.

Madcrawdad

The ONLY AC Mafia
Dec 29, 2006
Chicagoland
Try chewing some earthworms, and gently spit them into the baby bird's mouth...

As the bird gets older, you'll also need to run around the yard flapping your arms, so the little guy can learn how to fly.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:eek:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Try chewing some earthworms, and gently spit them into the baby bird's mouth...

As the bird gets older, you'll also need to run around the yard flapping your arms, so the little guy can learn how to fly.
:perv: :thud:

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Wildlife Rehabber

If I were you, I'd look for a wildlife rehabilitator immediately. Dietary needs, diagnosis of possible injuries, concerns over diseases/parasites that can be transferred to humans ... Caring for injured/orphaned wildlife is not easy. Good luck.

:iagree:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Different bird species have different dietary needs and since the parents do regurgitate what they eat into the babies mouths if you can't ID the species you need immediate professional help. A baby bird can starve to death in 2 days or less if not fed properly. If you know the species it won't be hard to feed a bird at that stage of development as long as you know what it eats.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
a mortar and pestle and a baby medicine syringe would come in real handy right about now.

also, i suspect macrawdad may be feral according to his answer. :evil_lol:

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
It's illegal to keep and/or raise wild birds and other animals. You need to find a wildlife rehaber that can take it in. But until then, keep it warm in a quiet room and do not disturb it unless feeding.
The real problem is that you cannot teach the bird what to eat, so even with the best human help, there is a massive chance it will die soon after release. Most rehabers will tell you to leave it where you found it, or in a makeshift nest off the ground. If the original nest has no chicks or is near enough to the new nest, the parents may be able to still feed it.
We have lost 4 baby birds here, at all stages and only one made it because it was old enough and wouldn't let the parents forget about it. Though I believe the others in the nest were neglected, not sure if those made it or not.

http://www.californiawildlifecenter.org/home.html
http://www.ccwr.org/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store