Small algae eating fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OneJun

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Long Beach
I want to know if their are any algae eating fish that are small but big enough not be eaten by a angelfish. will they harrass any other fish like corydoras?

Tobaobo Koomi

AC Members
Apr 20, 2010
Colorado
oto's usually keep to them selves and most bigger fish seem to ignore them...and i think they only get to 2 1/2 or 3 inches...

chad320

AC Members
Jul 4, 2010
If you think your ottos arent doing the job bristlnosed plecos dont get very big either. I think the regular ones are ugly but the long finned albinos are cool.

OneJun

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Long Beach
I got some brown algae.Is their any other fish besides otos that can do the job and i dont think i will get plecos because for some reason my lil bro is scared of them... 0.0

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Brown algae = diatoms

Is the tank new (< 6 months old)? If so, they will eventually go away on their own. They should be easy to wipe off in the mean time though.

Otos will get rid of diatoms quickly, in my experience. The problem then is feeding them afterwards. They are not picky but shouldn't be added to a tank solely for algae eating purposes IMO. They are not the hardiest fish either...best for an established tank.

Tobaobo Koomi

AC Members
Apr 20, 2010
Colorado
after the otos grub all the brown aglea, i just feed em like i feed my sailfin pleco...some veggies like green beans and zuccini...something as small as the oto you can use a cheese grater to get it small enough for em to grub...or pull him out to a different tank and let the brown algea grow back?

Tobaobo Koomi

AC Members
Apr 20, 2010
Colorado
or you could do some nerites? i have seen those suggested before, but i have never had any...

OneJun

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Long Beach
wow lots of answers :D yea it jst finished cycling bout 2 weels ago. I have some nerites but thier pretty lazy...plus im keeping angels which like soft water so i dont think it would be good for the snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store