Woke up to dead fish......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
So I changed my substrate last night and I guess didn't let it settle enough because this morning my Pike was dead and one of my cichlids was on his side gasping. I Immediately removed him to a bucket that I had of old tank water before the change. The other Severum and the Blood parrot seem to be fine. I have no idea what to do.....I guess water change and let it settle longer....

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
How did you change the substrate? Did you tear down the tank? Or leave the fish and water in? What are your ammonia readings today?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Increase your aeration, as well...or add Hydrogen Peroxide at around a capful per 10 gal. Be careful with the peroxide if you ever go that route. Also, check your ammonia/nitrites.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Tore the tank down completely, removed the stone put in sand and filled it up. Had major cloudiness issues. did a complete water change, put in softeners, stress coat etc.... and still had some cloudiness. it's looking to be about 2.0ppm, I have the test strips, which I know aren't the most accurate.....maybe I got myself into the wrong hobby, this is very discouraging :(

the other two fish seem fine

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Im guessine ammonia with fish that size and 100% water change.
I should do a water change or the water change harmed my fish?

bderick67

"need more tanks"
Feb 9, 2007
Wonderful Colorado
Lets look at whats going on. To start you have a filter of very poor design, when you clean it you actually throw away any beneficial bacteria that has grow in it. You added fish and quickly increased the bioload by at least triple. Since your filter is as it is, your beneficial bacteria population is likely higher within your tank growing on any surface available in your tank. So when you took out all the old substrate, you likely removed most all the bacteria that was established in the tank.

How long had this tank even been set up, I know your severum is 5 years old but is this tank a new set up?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
If your ammonia is 2ppm,do a large water change. I would get some Prime,and some Seachem Stability too.

Did you let your filter media dry out when you tore the tank down? Or did you put it in some tank water?

chad320

AC Members
Jul 4, 2010
The initial water change started a mini cycle. The best thing that you can do is small water changes over the next 3-4 days. You didnt clean your filter also did you?

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I completely replace the filter, it had gotten sandy, now thinking about it i shouldn't have done that. I had placed a nylon bag of the old stone in the tank hoping to get some of the bacteria into the sand.

It's my fault I got over excited and over confident and rushed things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store