0 Nitrates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I have a 29 gallon african cichlid tank with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. The water has been tested with liquid test kits at various lfs and they all give the same readings.

This is after 2 weeks of no water changes! I used to do 50% water changes because I figure that with the fish load it was need but I guess I was wrong. How is it possible to dump that amount of food into a tank and get ZERO water quality issues?

The tank has been setup for 5 years so it has already gone through its cycle a while ago. The tank has absolutely no problems what so ever, all the fish are active and healthy.

Please let me know what you think. I have the same problem with a separate tank, but I think it is do to the plants that are in there.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
No plants? I find it unlikely unless you have some anaerobic activity going on in the tank as well...

I never trust LFS readings. Even if it is a liquid test kit for all I know they could be expired or screwing up the tests by not following the directions.

My advice: get a kit for yourself.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
I have a 29 gallon african cichlid tank with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. The water has been tested with liquid test kits at various lfs and they all give the same readings.

This is after 2 weeks of no water changes! I used to do 50% water changes because I figure that with the fish load it was need but I guess I was wrong. How is it possible to dump that amount of food into a tank and get ZERO water quality issues?

The tank has been setup for 5 years so it has already gone through its cycle a while ago. The tank has absolutely no problems what so ever, all the fish are active and healthy.

Please let me know what you think. I have the same problem with a separate tank, but I think it is do to the plants that are in there.

If this is true, I am very jealous of you. I just cant get my nitrates below 50ppm! I do 25% water changes 1-2 times a week, and my tank is probably less than 50% full, with what I believe is enough filtration. It's my 55 and I just can't understand why my nitrates won't go down! They've been hovering around 50ppm forever and no matter what I can't get them down at all! The annoying thing is that everything in my tank is covered in diatoms, and I have to scrub the glass every 2 weeks because of the diatoms. It is very annoying, and I can't understand why my nitrates don't drop at all. I own a liquid test kit, and my tap water's nitrate level is 10ppm. I'm betting that if you have gotten a mixed sample from different LFS, then I bet that It's true. I would get your own liquid test kit though. What do you use as filtration? I've had my tank for 3 years and never gotten the nitrates below 50ppm, how do you do it?

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Your guess is as good as mine. I know for a fact that the readings are accurate because the fish stores that I went to know what they are doing. They have really expensive stock at the store so they would be out a lot of money if it was off. I had them use the same test kit that they use for the store tanks. They told me that they replace unused portions fairly often.

Also I went to Petsmart and Petco as well and they had the same readings. I have a penguin biowheel 200 and thats it. Also for some reason this tank rarely has algae.

This is kind of disappointing because I enjoy the water changes, but now I have decided to hold off because the readings are so low.

Is it possible that running a tank for so long without tearing it down has done something?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Seems unlikely unless you have some live plants to displace the nitrate.

you might attain the perfect balance of plants and fish that actually equals out all the nitrate, but even that seems unlikely.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
you have some anaerobic activity going on in the tank as well...
Bingo. This is common for many saltwater setups and is certainly not out of the realm of possibility for a freshwater system given the right conditions that allow for denitrification.

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Please explain what you mean. I agree that this is very weird because I am used to doing regular water changes. It goes against everything I was doing when I first had the tank. Even the filter cartridge is clean. I am worried though because some how I will find some problem sooner or later.

I wonder if after the two weeks are up if I will start to see something on the third. I will check periodically just to make sure.

Even if the testing still turns out zero this weekend I am doing a 50% water change it is killing me I can't help my self. It is sort of a force of habit, it is not clean unless I have done work on it.

I agree though that something doesn't seem right. There is no way that I can permanently add food in without water changes it just doesn't make logical sense.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Bingo. This is common for many saltwater setups and is certainly not out of the realm of possibility for a freshwater system given the right conditions that allow for denitrification.
Problem is...it's not just something that "happens"

Please explain what you mean. I agree that this is very weird because I am used to doing regular water changes. It goes against everything I was doing when I first had the tank. Even the filter cartridge is clean. I am worried though because some how I will find some problem sooner or later.

I wonder if after the two weeks are up if I will start to see something on the third. I will check periodically just to make sure.

Even if the testing still turns out zero this weekend I am doing a 50% water change it is killing me I can't help my self. It is sort of a force of habit, it is not clean unless I have done work on it.

I agree though that something doesn't seem right. There is no way that I can permanently add food in without water changes it just doesn't make logical sense.
In SW setups anaerobic bacteria turn NO3 into N2 gas...the process is termed "denitrification"...sometimes it can happen in FW tanks but not all that often unless you have a really deep sand bed.

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
what rockwork do you have in the tank????? if you have a pourous rock like tufa or a nice pourous ocean rock then its 'possible' but unlikely that u have denitrification happening . do you have any algea in the tank?? . thats the only other thing i can think of .

get a test kit you wont regret spending the pennies on it also get your tank tested for phosphates as nitrate isnt the only problem chemical in tanks.

what dechlor do you use , some claim to detoxify nitrate , also check check and check again that the lfs is shaking the liquid reagents ALOT as they can settle and give false readings

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store