Angry Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
I have an angry dwarf gourami that harasses any fish he sees. Are they really this aggressive? or is there something causing him to do this? i have him in a clean 10g with 4 danios and 4 ghost shrimp, he harrased my two guppies to death and also 4 shrimp and 3 danios have gone missing. Im pretty sure he is the culprit since he chases anything that moves. What can i do?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Are gourami's that fast? I still have a danio in my cichlid tank that I can't catch, and neither can they apparently.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
He was the very first one in the tank. They are quite fast, took me awhile to net him out to place him in a differant tank with my large ghost shrimp. I dont think he likes any moving object, period. He is attacking my large ghost shrimp, these guys are as large as he is!

iam2thecrowe

AC Members
Jun 20, 2010
South Australia
sounds like you've just got one of those fish.... I used to have a guppy that attacked everything including 2 dwarf goramis I had at the time. I don't know what you can do about it. Maybe get a female for him.

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
My dwarf gourami went through a "lethally aggressive" phase, but he's calmed down a lot now for whatever reason. So it may be temporary. I did have to put a tank divider in for a while though.

Do you have floating plants? I found they distracted him and kept him busy with maknig bubblenests.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Danios, now that is a fast fish! Took me 40min, plastic pane and a 7in net to catch 8 of them!
As for the mean 'ol fish, some are extremely passive, others meaner than the devil. I'm not sure what you could do. I had a female Opaline, she nearly killed the new male, so I sold her. The male has healed and is the sweetest fish I've ever owned. All other fish nip or chase, he just calmly waits or uses his feelers to see if there is a spot he can squeeze into for some food, lol. He's a doll.
Go ahead and try a female, keep the receipt if need be.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Well ive done everything i could for this guy and he just refuses to get along with anything. Hes in a .5 gal now by himself. im willing to give him away to anyone. Local Pick-Up only. Madison County, Indiana

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
I've got no choice, he will either kill my fish in my 10g or die in the 37g. Its his temp home until i can get him a new one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store