Can your fish tank make you sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anthony8858

Hey, fish-face!
Jan 4, 2004
Staten Island, NY
Visit site
Keeping in mind the various organisms that do grow in a tank, I can't help but wonder if you can get sick from your tank?

I ask because my daughter's tank recently developed a sweet smell while going through a cycle. My wife "flipped" into a state of panic when she saw my daughter open the cover and smell the water. She was very worried about inhaling some organism that very well could end up in her lungs.

Of course there are water born diseases like "legionaires disease" that can be transmitted by simply breathing the infected water droplets.

Can a fish tank be deadly?

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
If fish tanks could be deadly than I would long be dead. I've reached into my tank, without even thinking, with cuts on my hands and I regularly smell the tank. I think that there is only a few fish born illnesses that can be transmitted to humans, TB being one of them and it's not very common.

Point being, I don't think your daughter is going to get sick from smelling the water.

Oakley

You haven't seen me.
Dec 31, 2003
Brighton England
Visit site
legionaires disease as fas as im aware is only caught by breathing in very small particlas of water, such as you would get in a fine spray of water in a shower.
My brother is a micro biologist that deals with assessing risks to workers in large offices from such things as legionaires disease.
When i call him i will ask him about any of the possible risks that may be in the home aquarium and i will post his thoughts here for you.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Viruses will seldom be able to make the leap from fish to human (and vice versa). Some bacteria can, but require specific conditions to thrive, and humans don't supply those--for example, the nitrifying bacteria would not survive long in our systems. While fish TB is transmissable, it's easily avoided by careful maintenance--use gloves, don't stick you hand in if you have cuts and open sores.

While legionnaires disease is transmissable through water droplets, it must be in sufficient quantity to infect a human. Check here for more: http://www.waterionisation.com/legionella045.html and note that aquariums are not listed as potential reservoirs. The high temp required for optimal growth of the bacteria is well above where most fish tanks are kept.

IMO, the kitchen and bathroom are more likely to cause an illness than a fish tank.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
IMO Alert!

In the old days children played in mud, ate worms, and kept dead frogs in their pockets- and were healthy as h3ll.

Nowadays the nursery is sterile, they have "play dates" at approved childrens centers, and get followed around by Mom's with antibacterial wipes- and asthma has never been more prevalent.

A healthy immune system is your best defense! Feed 'em lots of fresh veggies and let 'em be kids.

Lauren

Say hello to my lilttle friends
Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
Cearbhaill: you also have to realize that asthma is easier to diagnose now. Plus, when it appears that more people have asthma, it just means that more people are on asthma medicine. Many people with allergies are given asthma medication to help them. So most studies make it seem that more people have it then they really do.

Your daughter is fine:
How is legionellosis spread?

Outbreaks of legionellosis have occurred after persons have breathed mists that come from a water source (e.g., air conditioning cooling towers, whirlpool spas, showers) contaminated with Legionella bacteria. Persons may be exposed to these mists in homes, workplaces, hospitals, or public places. Legionellosis is not passed from person to person, and there is no evidence of persons becoming infected from auto air conditioners or household window air-conditioning units.

Where is the Legionella bacterium found?

Legionella organisms can be found in many types of water systems. However, the bacteria reproduce to high numbers in warm, stagnant water (90°-105° F), such as that found in certain plumbing systems and hot water tanks, cooling towers and evaporative condensers of large air-conditioning systems, and whirlpool spas. Cases of legionellosis have been identified throughout the United States and in several foreign countries. It is believed to occur worldwide.
here is the link for if you want to show your wife: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/legionellosis_g.htm

Last edited:

HarmonyAZ

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
There are studies which show much lower rates of both asthma and allergies in populations in rural areas with more contact with animals and with lower sanitation. Asthma rates are exponentially higher in Westernized, developed urban areas, even when the same doctors are doing the diagnosis in both areas. :)

Lauren

Say hello to my lilttle friends
Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
Originally posted by LMOUTHBASS
Legionella bacterium - what exactly is it n what will it do to ppl?
It's a lot like pneumonia.

Patients with Legionnaires' disease usually have fever, chills, and a cough, which may be dry or may produce sputum. Some patients also have muscle aches, headache, tiredness, loss of appetite, and, occasionally, diarrhea. Laboratory tests may show that these patients' kidneys are not functioning properly. Chest X-rays often show pneumonia. It is difficult to distinguish Legionnaires' disease from other types of pneumonia by symptoms alone; other tests are required for diagnosis.

Persons with Pontiac fever experience fever and muscle aches and do not have pneumonia. They generally recover in 2 to 5 days without treatment.

The time between the patient's exposure to the bacterium and the onset of illness for Legionnaires' disease is 2 to 10 days; for Pontiac fever, it is shorter, generally a few hours to 2 days.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Like ~35 people die a year from their aquarium. Im assuming 90%+ of them die from electrocution. Those glass heaters and powerheads are very dangerous...

There are fish and inverts that are deadly, and there are a few diseases that you can catch, but those likely result in the minority of cases.

There was a thread on RC awhile back where some guys dog died, it licked the water in a bucket where he was temporarily storing some polyps. The polyps emit palytoxin when stressed. Palytoxin is the most deadly natural toxin in the world. Less than 5 micrograms of it is deadly to humans.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store