Pearl Gouramis in 29 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
Hi everyone. It has been a while since I have had a freshwater community tank. As my username suggests, I have kept many saltwater reef tanks over the years, but I have decided to return to freshwater.
I would like to setup a 29 gallon community tank with pearl gouramis being the centerpieces, so I was wondering how many I could get. I would like at least a pair. Other fish that I am planning on getting are cardinal or neon tetras (about 10).
Thanks

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I wouldn't put more than a pair of pearl gouramis in a 29...I'd also consider harlequin rasboras for more of a biotope look...but the cardinals or neons would work fine in there and be awesome looking as well.

Eric

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
thanks. so I will be getting 2 pearl gouramis and the neons or cardinals. Also I have been looking into bottom feeders as well. I don't really like corys and plecos, so are there any other options for my size tank?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Kuhli loaches or dwarf chain loaches (used to be Botia sidthimunki or something close to that...but I think Botia has been updated to something starting with a Y)>

Do you like otos? They'd work and are great if you're considering plants.

Eric

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
thanks. I looked at those fish, and I loved the chain loach. However, I read that it is on the endangered species list, so I am opting out of purchasing it. I didn't like the ottos (they are still like plecos) and the other loach either. So, I went and googled the corys again and I saw the green cory and the Julii cory, which look really nice, so I think I'm gonna get some of those instead. So how many will I need?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
You really don't need any bottom feeder, but cories like groups so I'd get 3 at least (the more the merrier). Green cories are bigger, so I'd probably stick with just the 3 so as not to overload your tank. Smaller cory species such as Pandas...I'd go with 6.

Eric

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
great! I went onto Aqadvisor.com and double checked my stocking list. I also added in the harlequin rasboras for fun and this is what I got:

its perfect. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store