Fishless Cycle Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zonker

AC Members
Jan 25, 2004
Hello everyone. I stumbled across this forum the other day and it looks like a great place for information. I'm sure the subject of fishless cycling has been discussed thoroughly in other threads, but I figured since I signed up, I might as well post something ;) I'm about 3 weeks into a fishless cycle with a new 10G tank. I started off adding ammonia and everything was going according to plan. In the second week, nitrites starting showing up. My nitrites have now been off the scale for about 2 weeks. The tank eats ammonia quickly, but the nitrites just aren't dropping. I've read that this is the longest part of a cycle. I have the temp set at around 82F. I'm thinking that if I keep adding ammonia to feed the bacteria that produce nitrite (sorry, can't remember the name) my nitrite will just continue to climb. Should I keep adding ammonia at all? How much ammonia do I need to sustain the existing bacteria? How long can it take before the nitrite starts to drop? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help.

Zonker

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store