Peppermint Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
How will I know if my pair of shrimp have or will mate? Are their eggs visible floating or will they be attached to something? Will you be able to see the female carrying the eggs, because you can kinda right through their shell? Thanks for any info.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Peppermint shrimp are hermaphroditic, so any two will mate. Fertilized eggs appear as a yellowish/greenish mass attached to the pleiopods (aka swimmerets) on the underside of the abdomen. The larvae are planktonic, but can be reared if you are willing to devote a system to do it. Otherwise, it's a nice source of plankton for the tank.

Mating can only occur right after the "female" molts. In young adult animals, this can happen every 2.5 to 3 weeks.

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I took your advise in an earlier post and bought a second shrimp in hopes of diversifying my zooplankton. I'll have to keep an eye on them after they molt I guess. Is there any way to tell their sex?

Brian Schaff

Registered Member
Feb 1, 2004
Portugal
Visit site
Hy,

You won't have a female and a male.
What will happen is that both of the shrimp will have eggs, and hopefully they will all be fertilized.
Whent they molt they will release the eggs that hatch and produce larvae.
The big problems start when you need to rear the larvae and they all end up dying. Nevertheless they make good live feeding for the aq.

Brian

GeraldJ880

Registered Member
Jan 27, 2015
I've only also been looking at my fityfive gallon container during the night time which has a torch trying to identify some sort of achievable eunicid earthworms. In any case, certainly one of my red-colored legged hermits ended up being active consuming, while that quit, indexed component way to avoid it of it really is shell and also released what about a 100 approximately are living going swimming points. Is actually this typical? We idea crabs layed eggs? Afterwards, that delivered into their shell and also carried on consuming.
Does this imply I need to find plenty of teeny shells for the new crabs or even is actually this many horrible parasitic person occasion?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've only also been looking at my fityfive gallon container during the night time which has a torch trying to identify some sort of achievable eunicid earthworms. In any case, certainly one of my red-colored legged hermits ended up being active consuming, while that quit, indexed component way to avoid it of it really is shell and also released what about a 100 approximately are living going swimming points. Is actually this typical? We idea crabs layed eggs? Afterwards, that delivered into their shell and also carried on consuming.
Does this imply I need to find plenty of teeny shells for the new crabs or even is actually this many horrible parasitic person occasion?
I've had several shrimp and crabs release eggs or young in my tanks, none have ever been viable. They all generally go through several planktonic stages before assuming adult form and the typical aquarium just wont support them through those stages.

GeraldJ880

Registered Member
Jan 27, 2015

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store