"Balloon Belly" Blue Rams???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
I have kept Bolivian Rams for about 2 and a half years -- nevah hoid-da "balloon belly" rams.....

They did have round little bodies, to be sure, and they were quite cute, shaped kinda like a fancy goldfish in a Ram suit....but I'm totally suspicious....

Is there really such a thing or were these somehow deformed or unnatural?

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
In Asia, (Thailand?) they were breeding them and a few turned up with a batch of them with a spine deformity. These were bred back until there was tons of them. Either way, they're not very healthy. I would feed them shelled peas along with their regular foodd, that helps prevent swim bladder disease.

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm always suspicious of the LFS and what they choose to stock and sell.

I wouldn't buy any. A long time ago I learned (the hard way) to avoid the cute fish with the round tummies. Nothing but trouble for you and for themselves. I was alarmed that there was a round ram.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Balloon fish are something I would never buy.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
I think the true market for balloons, painteds, and whatever else, is for 5 year olds who want their pretty pink fish in a 6x6x6 tank (<1g) and live for a long time(2 weeks). It makes me sick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store