DIY project idea (filter waterfall)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lauren

Say hello to my lilttle friends
Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
I got this idea, I think it would look nice. Tell me if you think this will work and if it's been done.

to be used with a hang on tank filter. Get some rocks safe for aquariums and epoxy them to the glass underneath where the water spills over into the tank. Keep the water level a little lower than normal, but have a nice, little waterfall going into the tank. Also, if you are creative with spacing and layering you can use this to cover up some of the tube that brings the water into the filter.

what do you think?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
With a bit of work, it should work. Things to consider--the lower the level of the water, the harder the filter has to work pulling water in, so you'll need to make sure you use a good quality filter. I think a canister filter would be easier to use, though, since it wouldn't be impacted as much by the water level in the tank. The splashing would increase evaporation, so FW topoffs or water changes would need to be done more often. Since you have hard water, the splash will also result in cloudy glass from the calcium deposits--not a problem, but ugly and hard to clean.

What would you want in the tank? I considered doing something similar for my red belly newts, and soon determined that having rocks that close to the edge of the tank would just ease their escape. You'd want a tower of rocks going all the way to the bottom--I wouldn't want to attach the rocks to the side of the tank, since the sides are not really designed for pressure that direction.

Another option is to plumb a powerhead to pull water from an open area with tubing, and have it sit at the top of the rocks, partially submerged. Less wear on the powerhead, easier to direct the flow of the water to reduce splashing, no concern for unauthorized extra-aquarium strolls by any four legged inhabitants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store