what do you suggest for a 5 gallon nano?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
do i need a skimmer? i think i recall for a tank this small. 7lbs of live rock and about 4 lbs live sand with a HOB filter with weekly 1 gallon water changes would be enough filtration.

i've had great success with my 20 gallon reef, so now i want to try a 5. just some easy to keep corals, zoanthids, mushroom, leathers etc. cleanup crew with maybe 1 small goby. i'd add a small powerhead and heater.

so my question is what can you suggest for lights? i was going to use a couple screw-in style coralife 50/50 20 watt bulbs which should be enough? it would save me from having to buy a new PC fixture. any advice welcome and appreciated

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You don't need a skimmer on a tank that small. Water changes are fine.

For lighting, look into a 1000w SunMaster Deluxe fixture. You know you want to spring for it :grinyes:

Seriously, however, you may want to try out some of the PAR38 LED lamps that simply screw into a standard base lamp fixture. They are quite bright and would work well on a 5g--maybe the 80 degree optic.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
I havnt heard anything bad about evil66's LEd lamps and his are screw in style

I see thse LED screw ins at home depot now too, but I'm worried that the lighting isn't the same as far as kelvins or whatever from what evil is building. Would be cool to use over my QT tank if I knew it would keep my corals alive.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
i got a fixture today that will fit my 50/50 coralife bulbs. so back to the skimmer issue. i saw a rio nano skimmer for $58 at my LFS, has a filter section in it too. good idea or bad idea? i could run this unit or forget skimming altogether and just run a whisper 10 GAL HOB filter that i can get at walmart for $20. since there will be easy to keep soft corals in the tank - what's the best bet? i know it don't need a skimmer, but wouldn't it be better to have it or would it rob the tank of trace elements the corals need?

i'm setting it up tomorrow so whatever you can tell me, it's advice i'll follow.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
ok. i won't bother. but problems! i tried to install my 50/50 20 watt coralife bulbs in the new canopy - they don't fit! too long. now i'm screwed. how would you guys light this 16 inch wide 5 gallon? remember, i will have soft corals and i gotta have the actinic (50/50) lighting.

btw docta, ever do water tests in that 15? what results do you get?

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
no nitrates if thats what youre asking, but i dont feed much, mostly just to coral. i have a tiny turf scrubber and bunches of macro which i hate, check out my thread.
5 gals is pretty rough for me, its not small enough to be novel but lacks the stability of 10-15 gal. maybe build a little canopy for your light

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store