Jake's 2.5g AGA Betta Biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
Tank Setup 7/13/10
A Little Backround
About six months ago I got bitten. And for the first time this bite was good for me, as it was from a bug of the Aquarius sp. I started having the side effects right away, wanting a bigger aquarium, an ADA pimped tank, an Eheim canister, ETC. But I soon got 'control' of the side effects and to humble the virus inside me I went to Wallys-World and picked up a male betta splendens. I got home, setup an unplanted 1g pentagon aquarium looked at it for a second and was unsatisfied. (As always). I knew bettas deserved (aka should be kept) in larger 2-5+ gallon aquariums with filters and plants and such but things prevented me from giving Sam the betta this betta'r home. (IE, my wallet!) He lived a boring life in his little tank, until today! When I went to Fish Ulimited (a LFS) to pick up some Corydoras food I saw a lone 2.5g AGA and the virus inside me spiked! I had to have that tank! So I came home with fish food and a 2.5g tank with the fill intention of making it a 2.5g betta biotope.
(Just so you know, I had the idea in my head for along time, it just never happened until today!)
Tank Equipment & Flora/Fauna List
Tank: Aqueon 2.5g aquarium
Filter: Maxi-Jet 404 powerhead (on lowest setting)
Substrate: Pool filter sand
Lighting: Reading clip lamp with 2,500K CFL bulb (Will be replaced sooner with 6,500K bulb)
Decor': Driftwood, river rocks
Flora: Rotala rotundifolia
Fauna: 1 male Betta splendens
The Setup

Look What I Got!

A Cleaned Tank

Adding The Substrate

The Light Fixture

The Aquascape

The 'scape had to look good from both the right and left side.

Fillin' Her up!

The Finished Product

Right Side FTS

From The Top

At an Angle
Close Ups

Plant!?!

Sam!
Sorry about the bubbles!
I am amazed at the energy of the betta after being put into his new home. He is investigating every inch of it and love moving infront of the powerhead! I have to say, that if you really want to learn about you betta, get a big tank!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Very cool! Will definitely look great with some more plants, but it is already looking good.

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
Very cool! Will definitely look great with some more plants, but it is already looking good.
Thank you! I don't know what plants I will add, probably some Cryptocorne wendtii or something like that.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Nice hardscape! Yes, looking forward to more plants! I know how you feel... I had my guy in a 1g which was fine when he was tiny, but seeing him now in a 2.5 he is so much happier.

Have you seen the Azoo palm filter/Red Sea Nano mini-HOB? It's perfect for the 2.5g tanks & has adjustable flow for bettas.

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
Nice hardscape! Yes, looking forward to more plants! I know how you feel... I had my guy in a 1g which was fine when he was tiny, but seeing him now in a 2.5 he is so much happier.

Have you seen the Azoo palm filter/Red Sea Nano mini-HOB? It's perfect for the 2.5g tanks & has adjustable flow for bettas.
Thanks! It is amazing what a little change of enviroment can do.:thumbsup: I have seen that type of filter. That is what I will get if the powerhead doesn't work out.
Thanks again,
Jake

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
I am looking at plants and I think 1 Cryptocorne wendtii and some floaters will work well. Is there a smaller Crypt like W. that I do not know about? Any suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store